foundation choices/finding contractor to put in foundation

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

betty_joanne

Hi, I am new here. I bought a forclosed on double wide mobile home on some land in texas. I am going to be moving that double wide mobile home to another location which is in alvin tx and i am trying to find out more about foundation choices and how to find a reliable contractor to do the foundation up to code. The home is currently on blocks and an interior wall has bowing so the home will need releveling when it is moved to the final location.
Our area here in texas has clay soil and the air has high humidity. The final location where we want to put the home has a raised dirt pad(clay/dirt) already.
We have a quote of $700 each for runners(total needed being four). This seems high. I am not totally set on runners and i am looking into what other choices i have.
Would putting crushed concrete/concrete washout on the dirt pad and then the blocks be a bad idea? I would think that the crushed concrete/concrete washout would hold water and create a moisture problem in our high humidity area.
What do i look at in the phone book for someone to put down a foundation(blocks,piers,etc) by code. Thanks.
Greg

Hi & welcome. There are a few options for foundations, Piers, full pads, even full basements. If you think moisture will be a problem then a full pad may be best for you.
Any cement contractor should be able to pour it for you, or you could ask around the mobile home dealers even the codes office may be able to give you a few good names. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
betty_joanne

If a concrete full slab is put down does the double wide still sit on concrete blocks on top of the concrete slab?
altasnowman

Hi betty joanne,
Just going to give my 2 Canadian cents worth here. Yes you can place your double wide on concrete blocks, but if you have gone to the point of having a slab poured it would be better if you placed home on adjustable steel piers as you have a level and extreamly solid platform to work off of. some people will say that concrete blocks or treated wood blocking is ok and yes i agree but if you can afford it go with the steel piers. you can with the steel have them (if you have exact measurements )installed when the slab is poured. the draw back to this is usually that the transport company will want the home craned onto the piers. what i and several other setup people have done is to have holes drilled in piers and when installing we drill and anchor into the slab, this also serves as a further tie down and depending on the insurance company and local authorities this is acceptable. it is your choice as to which way you go,just giving you some different options.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
Greg

If you are pouring a full slab You could go with steel or as long as you are pouring you could use sonatubes and pour 12" diamater piers at the same time. check with the contractor that is doing the work for their ideas. Greg
betty_joanne

What about foundation systems?
I am looking at the big foot foundation sytem. Does anyone have this foundation system?

I want to add that the home is completely paid for and that the land where it is being moved to is an area that is an unrestricted(so not a mobile home park, etc.) area. The land that it is being moved to is not completely paid for. So, i don't know if i have to meet hud codes etc. . We are insurance free as well.
Yanita

Hi Betty,

Just so you understand the term foundation system, to our homes this can mean many different things...slabs, piers, runners, tie downs, concrete blocks...all of this is various parts of our foundation system.

If you need or are looking for specifics on a certain named system, then you will have to supply us with that named system.

Foundations alot of times are dictated by your local officials, building codes. In Vermont your home has to be on a full slab to get financing, here in hurricane country is another thing, earthquakes, deep winter freezes,...not all systems are applicable for all areas.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
betty_joanne

Well, i don't need financing. But, i did just now e-mail the city building official and asked some pretty dumb sounding questions so i guess i will see what i need when she e-mails me back.
Who knew finding and getting a foundation for a mobile home would be such a headache.
Yanita

No such thing as a dumb question.

You will need to know what needs to be done so that you can make sure that it is done properly when your home is set in place.

If your home is not properly set up then you will incur alot of problems..please do your homework on your codes, out in the country does not mean you can ignore some codes.

Yanita
Greg

One other thing that all of us have forgotten to tell you about - Mark's book. It is a wealth of information on about any problem you may have. Greg
betty_joanne

What usually costs more a full slab or runners/footers? so, a mobile home dealer wouldn't totally laugh at me for asking about their foundation contractors when i didn't buy the home from them?
I will be going tommarow to see if i can locate some sort of model/make,seal,identification on the inside/outside of the home. I have no idea what it is and only know that it is a 2000 28*76 model and it isn't listed on the special warranty deed nor the county records.

Man, crossing big foot systems off the list. Forget that.
Last edited by betty_joanne on Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yanita

The info on your home can be located in a variety of places, master closet, or any closet, inside cupboards, metal tags riveted to the end of the home.

Once you locate the info about your home you can do a Google search on the brand name, and hopefully find the information you need for your set up. Each home has a blocking diagram that is followed.

I would assume, that a full concrete slab would cost more than runners, more concrete to to poured, rebar, labor for the forms etc...

Personally I would go with a full concrete slab....

Yanita
betty_joanne

I am really curious...how difficult would it be to do my own concrete footers(not the perimeter though)? My Family thinks that it could be done. I don't know how hard it would be but i am sure it would take atleast the permits which i don't even know if the city would approve us to do it ourselves. We are in an unrestricted area on 19 acres so things really don't get paid attention to out there.

I am still circling ideas. I can't even get the mobile home moved cause it won't dry out here in houston, tx area. The dirt pad has puddles and is all muddy. Not enough dry days to dry the dirt pad and road. Every time we get a couple of dry days we then get a couple of good hard rains. So frustrating.
Harry

Hi

Moving and installing a manufactured home is not a typical DIY project.

In Texas the owner can purchase a license to install a used MH but you must follow the manufactures installation instructions and have lots of insurance. Here’s a link with the rules:

http://www.tdhca.state.tx.us/mh/docs/homelic.pdf

If you have lots of money I would go with a slab and the adjustable steel piers.

The least expensive foundation is concrete block piers installed as per the manufacturers installation instruction manual.

I would continue to get quotes from licensed and insured installers.

Good Luck

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi,

I have to agree with Harry on this one! Your best, safest thing to do is hire a professional to have this done.

Again, a doublewide home will require alot of knowledge for proper set up. You will certainly have alot of problems with your home in the future if you try to do this DIY.

Mark's manuel has a blocking diagram, it's a basic diagram, BUT, many homes will require additional blocking at entry areas etc...

JMO, Yanita