Textured Walls

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

CPA

Thanks for the post. Internet video is certainly not my forte'. Hell, MH repair isn't really my specialty either. I'm just a sadly displaced bean counter.

It's difficult to account for all of the considerations that each person's computer environment might be operating within, so I just make it and test it on my computer and my wife's. If it works on both of those, I run with it.
The day you stop learning is the day you start dying.
Robin

What the heck is a Codec?!
CaptHowdy

Basically, a codec is a file used to compress certain types of media. Without certain codecs, your media player will not know how to decompress and play the file. The most common one is DivX. From what research I have done, it appears you need a codec to play an MP4 file.

I'm not sure of this forums policy on posting links to download items such as codecs, but if you Google K-Lite Codec Pack you can download enough codes to play darn near everything.

As always, with any software upgrade, you never know what conflicts installing codecs may cause. I personally have never had any problems, but I do not know what your system specs are. I'm sure if this is something you would want to consider installing, someone in the "Computer Questions" forum will be able to help you...or I'll see your post over there and give you a hand :)

Back to the topic at hand...

This may be a stupid question, but does this finish crack if you put pressure on it? By pressure I mean lean on the wall. I know it's not supposed to go on really thick, but it seems like it could be brittle and crack. It looks great, but I have a bunch of lazy bums at my house that are always leaning on something, and I wouldn't want them to ruin my work.

Jon
Harry

Hi

I think Jon has an excellent question..."does this finish crack if you put pressure on it?"

My walls move when you lean on them.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

H,

Yes, you can post links for the downloads. BUT, please put the computer stuff in the appropiate forum, thanks for asking.

Let's return this thread to textured walls...

Thanks, Yanita :D
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
CPA

I suspect that if you didn't thin the mixture down and your walls weren't very secure, the possibility would exist that it could crack. If you thin the mixture down as I describe, the texture goes on fairly thin and doesn't offer any reasonable chance for it to crack. Many of my walls weren't very secure. A few extra drywall screws would certainly pay dividends in that respect.

The paint also adds strength to the texture.

I have had this texture on some of the walls here for nearly a year and none of them have cracked for reasons you have described. I have gotten cracks on the walls but they have been stress cracks from the drywall itself and have been limited to areas underneath windows. These could have resulted from having the windows replaced after the texture was applied.

Even if you do get a crack, they are easy to repair. Since the pattern is completely random, you can dab mud on it with a paint brush, wait for it to dry and paint it again. Some of my cracks were so small that paint filled them in.
The day you stop learning is the day you start dying.
Harry

Thank you CPA

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Robin

I followed CaptHowdy's advice about the codec pack, and finally got to see the video. It's a great video. I think I could do this, CPA really explains it well.