Textured Walls

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

CPA

I took a video while I was texturing the last room in our home. It starts after I have the wall seams mudded and taped and the window area is finished with corner bead.

After that I apply the texture to the walls and around the window. I finish with a short clip of the painted walls.

The walls are primed then painted. As always, I recommend that you buy the best paint possible. Cheap paint takes longer to apply and you use more paint. In the long run, you save money using the best quality paint.

Use a 3/4" nap roller to apply the primer and paint.

The video is available at: http://www.tastyvenison.com/pics/Texture.mp4

It is about 4-5 minutes long and will take a while to load (sorry, I haven't figured out that streaming video concept as of yet). It views best with QuickTime.

Jeff
The day you stop learning is the day you start dying.
Harry

Hi

Did you texture over the vinyl covered wall board? Did you get good adherence?

Thanks

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
CPA

No, we peeled off the vinyl wall surface which created a whole other set of problems.

When the vinyl surface came off, it left behind a surface of wallboard that had a "toilet tissue like" composition. My fear with this surface was that, like the vinyl surface, I would not get good adhesion, so we purchase a gallon of a surface sealer from Lowe's that stuck everything to the wall like glue. It did the job.

We had similar surfaces in other rooms that came off cleanly without this problem. This was the only room where we encountered this particular dilemma.

I guess since it was the last room in the house it was kinda like the last nut on an exhaust manifold that breaks off when you apply torque to it.
Lorne

We ended up doing a similar thing, but with a large paint brush, jabbing it into the drywall compound that we spread on first.

The texturing GRIT you ad to a gallon of paint that we tried first was a Stucco Looking disaster.

The drywall compound thinned down is definitely the way to go for a professional appearance.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
CPA

Thanks,

I've used this technique for ceilings a lot and I mix some white paint into the mud so I don't have to paint the ceiling after I am done. This home is the first time I have done it on a wall, thinning out the mixture.

A friend of mine showed me the technique after I was trying to perform another textured surface on a wall that was much more difficult to apply (that stucco look). This uses much less joint compound, goes on in a fraction of the time and requires virtually no artistic ability. You could solicit your 10 year olds to do it (if you could break them away from the video games).

The only down side that I can see is that if you decide later that you don't want a textured wall, you will need to either re-drywall or panel the walls.

Of course, nothing is permanent. It's just a matter of how much work you want to throw into a project and how desperately you want change.
Harry

Hi

Which surface sealer did you use?

I think I'll try a room or 2.

Thanks

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
CPA

The sealer is called Zinser 123 and it comes in Latex and Oil based. We used the latex.

Home Depot has it for $17.97 per gallon.
Harry

Hi

Thanks again.

Harry
Robin

Jeff,

I downloaded QuickTime but it won't play the file because it says it doesn't understand the file format. I can't get it to play in any other programs, either.

And I was really looking forward to it!
Yanita

Hi,

I tried the link and got CLIP INFO (no info available)

Yanta
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
CPA

Well,

All I can say is that it works on my computer (but mine has all of those files on it) and it works on my wife's computer (and hers doesn't). It also works with Windows Media Player. It does take a long time to load because it is a large file. It works both with Mozilla and IE.

Try going directly to my web site and clicking the link. You can navigate there by going to www.tastyvenison.com, then choosing the Rancho Pequeno link at the bottom of the page, then choosing the "In Process Picture page 2" link then clicking on the "click here for Texture Video" link.

Maybe that will work.

I emailed Robin the entire video in MP4 format. Try Windows Media Player if QuickTime doesn't work.

Jeff
Robin

Jeff,
This is the error I get when trying to play the file in media player.

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

This is what I get in QuickTime:

Error 2048: Couldn't open the file because it is not a file that QuickTime understands.

Aren't computers great? :roll:
Yanita

LOL, now I can not even get into your website...I've been several times.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
CPA

At 24MB the file crashed when I tried to send it to Robin so I had to interrupt the send process.

If anyone is able to go to the web site and successfully view the video, will they please let me know? Send an email to: [email protected]

Ps: if you are on a dial up connection, don't bother. We're on a satellite connection here and that's slow enough.
CaptHowdy

I just right clicked on the link, and chose "Save target as...". It played great for me. I also have a whole bunch of Codecs installed, so maybe thats why my Windows Media Player plays it.