water line heat tapes

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Jazzbo

Is there a meter or whatever on the market to ck a heat tape to see if it is still good ?? Mine is 7 yrs old. Had bad winds last winter&unfortunatley my line froze. I keep wondering if it may have been just the tape(well insulated).
Greg

About the only way to check it with a meter is with an AC amp meter, If you use an ohm or continunity check it may test OK but is actually bad.
My advice would be to change it if you have any doubts about it. 7 yrs is about time for it to go out to lunch, plus it is MUCH easier to change now rather than when it is -20 with a wind! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."

From what I know about heat tapes, 7 years is really pushing it. I wouldn't go more than 5 years tops. Better to change it out now before it gets too cold. If it's not dead yet it will be very soon and replacing it is not something you'd want to do in cold weather. It's not worth the risk to try and get another season out of it.
Jazzbo

Thanks for all the info in regard to my heat tape. I totally agree with it all. My biggest situation is that my line is approx. 60 ft long and behind a porch now!! Don't know how long heat tapes are sold in but will get someone to help accomplish it. 'preciate your advise --- Ron :(

Heat tapes come in an assortment of lengths. I have seen 60' (and longer) Easy Tapes for sale locally. You can also buy heat tape in bulk in any length and attach a thermostat sold separately, but you shouldn't need to do that for what is a pretty standard length. One word of advice though: Everyone will be looking for heat tape as soon as the weather gets colder. If you have a lot of mobile homes in your area you might want to purchase it now in case they get scarce. My local hardware store sold out more than once last season.
Greg

I think that with that long of run I would be tempted to put it underground ad do away with the problem. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."