xi2 foundation system

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

betty_joanne

Does anyone have the xi2 foundation system by tie down? I don't think i am going to be able to afford footers or slab so this might be our next best option. I see that the system can be ordered online at some mobile home stores. I did e-mail the manufacturer to see where their distributers in texas are but no responce yet.
Is it hard to install(land install since we can't afford footers/slab)? My family may have to help me install it if the people that are moving are home to the new location don't know how to.
It is approved for texas.
JD
Site Admin

Hi betty_joanne,

Hopefully someone with first hand experience will be along to reply to your post. It is a very specific request and you might not find someone on the forum that has used that specific system.

I looked it up and it does not look like the permanent foundation pier systems that we install here in California. There are some pier systems that incorporate diagonal bracing into their systems, but we do not use that brand. I also did not see anything at the General Supply web site or the engineering detail that specifically tells me that this system is approved for HUD permanent foundation systems. From what I read it is approved as a tie-down anchor system. I don't know Texas code, so I may be way off here.

http://industriallasersolutions.com/sta ... 20seal.pdf

There is a company based out of Sacramento California that manufactures permanent foundation pier systems that approved for Texas and Florida. (Not sure about Miami-Dade) They have engineering plans for those and other states.

C&R Piers http://www.crpier.com/catalog2.html Look at the Maxi Pier. I am not sure, but it looks like these piers get anchored in "poured-in-place" pads. Here in CA we have systems that allow pre-made concrete pads. They all need to have a specific hardness rating.

Don't know if the information is useful to you, but thought I would throw it out there while you are waiting for a response.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
betty_joanne

um, is there a a maxi-pier system that doesn't use wood? Homes get eaten alive here in texas by termites.

Also, does the person that moves my home(mobile home mover) typically set up a system such as the maxi-pier system, xi2 system, etc. onto the dirt pad or is there another party envolved that i would have to pay to do that?

I wish hud and fha would just say which specific systems they approve of and list them according to state/wind zone.
Mark
Site Admin

Sort of up to the installer. If the installer isn't familiar with the system, they may suggest getting someone else to do it. Others may do it, but could charge extra. And for some installers its their way or the highway!

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
JD
Site Admin

The best thing to do would be to ask C&R Pier, the manufacturer of the Maxi-pier if they have installers for your area. But the Maxi-pier is just one example. I don't know the manufacturers in your area, but we have several in California. I would imagine that there are several in your area too. It is basically a welding operation with crude machining.

The Maxi-pier comes with anchor bolts that are pushed into the concrete while it is still wet. Wood, pre-made concrete and plastic resin pads are other options depending on your local codes and purpose of the pier system. Used with an earthquake system, the wood and plastic pads are usually acceptable. But for a permanent foundation system, HUD requires a concrete pad. Then some local jurisdictions may have more specific codes requiring poured in place pads, pads of a certain size or even true concrete footers.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.