Purchasing a used MH

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

CaptHowdy

Hello, this is my first post, but I've been lurking around here for a few days. I will try to make this quick, and answer any questions as they come.

My family is going to be purchasing a used MH in a MH park. It is one of those "fixer-uppers", but it is all we can afford at this time. If you don't know what the weather has been like in NW Indiana, we have had tons of rain. Long story short, the roof on our current house has fallen in, and we are trying to get out ASAP.

Now, for the used MH we looked at. I know very little about it at this time, and I apologize if that is going to be a problem. When looking through the home, I looked at every inch of the ceiling, no spots at all. The ceilings look very nice, almost as if they had be painted recently, but there are cobwebs hanging, so I believe this is very unlikely. With all the rain I believe there would be water damage if the roof was bad. Am I correct in assuming this?

The floors seemed very sturdy. All around the tub, sinks, behind toilets, and in front of windows. There was just one spot right at the front door, and it looks as if it had been replaced in the past with a piece of wood from one of those WalMart entertainment centers. This seems to be good news also, correct?

The windows are what I am worried about. The windows are single pane, most likely with an aluminum frame. There are 3 busted out, and one cracked. The ones that are broken have been sealed up nicely, and again, with all this rain we had, I did not feel any moisture at all. I am worried because at every window sill the wood was peeling up, and appeared to be water damaged. The park manager said this was because the old owner was sneaking in, leaving the windows open...but every window? That seemed a bit odd. Again though, I could not feel any moisture. Could this be from some kind of condensation? Are windows expensive to replace in a MH?

Water pipes I know nothing about...they would not turn the water on until we fill out the app. for the park. They did say if they turn the water on, and it has severe damage, we can retract our offer for the home. I am a bit confused on one thing. The water is off to the home, we checked...but there is a hose spicket under the back porch that is running, causing water to pool up in the side yard. How can this be if the water is turned off? I asked her, and she said that always pools when it rains, and she would not believe me that a hose spicket was running. Is it possible for rain water to be coming out of the hose spicket in a MH? I personally think she just didn't feel like looking. She did say she would have maintenance look though.

The front door is OK, the back door is caulked shut...not sure why. She did say they are required to provide us with 2 exits, and the current back door would be acceptable. I don't see how, but whatever. Do regular house doors usually fit on a MH?

I am going back to the MH park tomorrow. Is there anything else I should ask them? We are making a low offer for the home...1/2 of what they are asking. It seems like a all right deal, but everything is as-is, and the place has been vacant since Nov. They do not know if the water heater, fireplace, or furnace work either.

I guess the main thing I am wanting to find out from this post is, am I checking everything I should be? I have no clue what to look for under the trailer until the water is on, so I have not looked under there yet. Should I? As soon as the deal closes I will be buying Marks book. I love home repair (it's a love hate relationship really), so I plan on fixing everything I can myself...with the exception of the furnace and fireplace...that is going to be looked at by the pros.

Well, to make a long post longer...thanks for reading, and I look forward to any opinions you might have to share.

--Jon
JD
Site Admin

Hi Jon,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your last home. It must have been pretty bad conditions towards the end there. Hopefully your new place will serve you well.

The floor repair made from melamine is probably OK. It is basically the same material as the original flooring. Plywood would be the better choice on any future repairs.

Doors from Lowe's and Home Depot can be used in a mobile home but will most times require re-framing of the doors rough opening. If this a home with wall paneling, they will usually use the same paneling to dress out the window openings. Over time, condensation, windows left open when rain begins, and sometimes roof leaks will deteriorate the paneling. If this goes on for a long period of time, it can cause dry rot in the framing around the window. The mobile home aluminum windows are known for severe condensation problems. I would recommend that you replace at least the bad ones with vinyl dual windows. You will be that much closer to complete replacement.

Some other things that are very important to check would be the roof, the underbelly, and the plumbing. The main thing you want to do is keep your home keep a mobile home dry. You wll probably need a ladder or a pair of binoculars to check the roof.

If it is a metal roof, look for an excessive amount of sealant build up around the edges of the roof, the vents and ridge cap. There should be no black mastic/asphalt sealants on the roof. You do not want to see ponding or low spots that would cause ponding. Large amounts of rust is also not good. If this is a shingle roof, you do not want to see any shingles with a curl in them. You want the roof to be nice and flat with no wavy spots.

Check under the home to see if there is any underbelly or insulation hanging down. If you see it hanging, it is probably near water connections in the home.

Look under all sinks and near the toilets where the pipe comes out of the floor. You may see different types of pipe, like galvanized metal, copper, white or gray plastic. Any type plumbing could give you problems, but gray plastic pipe would be bad news. It can still be leak free, but chances are that won't last long.

If you are making an offer on the home tomorrow, then there may not be time to reply to what you do find. There are many areas of the home that need repair, but if you can keep the home dry, you can buy time to make those repairs.

You do want to be sure your home is safe and livable. I have just recently found out that this is the sellers responsibility whether the home is being sold as is or not, unless specific disclosure is made about the item in need of repair. Just saying the home may need repairs is not enough. Still, the sellers may give you a take or leave it attitude. If you decide to take it, you should have a professional check the gas and electric before moving your family into the home. The cost of inspection is just not worth the risk on an as is home that has been empty.

These repair items may not be a deal breaker, but they can be quite expensive to repair. It is best to know what you are getting into rather than have expensive repairs pop out of the blue.

JMO

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Maureen

Hi Jon, I really agree with JD on this, especially in your circumstances right now!

You've already gone through enough with the former home. You sure don't need any more problems. Please spend a few bucks and hire an inspector. Even if something turns up after you sign the papers, you'll still know what your up against. Since you're offering half of the asking price, let them know that you plan on hiring an inspector to check the home out. If they are even playing with the idea at selling it at half price, then the alert of a home inspector, may even get you a better price.

Best of luck, and if you need us, we'll be here for you!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Yanita

Hi,

Another Welcome to the site. Really glad to see you are doing your homework before purchase. Have you read the guide to purchasing a used MH in the stickies area?

I completely agree with JD's recommendation of a inspector.

You said you checked every inch of the ceiling, does that include inside all upper cabinets and inside closets? If the ceiling looks as though it has been painted, then it probably has. Cobwebs, well I have a residential cleaning business, trust me cobwebs can appear over night!

Doors/windows, as long as they are not leaking now, as JD said, you can buy yourself some time before replacing. Doors and windows can be purchased from any home improvement store but typically framing alterations will/may be required.

Back door caulked shut, in most cases 2 exits are required. I am to assume that this door does not seal closed properly, therefore allowing air/water to seep threw if the caulking is not there.

You definitely need to look under the home..this is one of the most vulnerable areas of the home. Alot can be learned by the condition of the underbelly. As JD mentioned, is the belly material intact, this is generally a single piece of fabric that covers the entire underside, holding the insulation up under the home. Is there alot of junk under there, signs of plumbing repairs, alot of times people leave old plumbing pieces or stuff under the home after repairs. Also is there alot of standing water under the home.

One real big red flag from your post...you made mention that the manager was to lazy to check on the water coming from the hose bib...might make you wonder what future hassles could arise from park management. Timely repairs etc.

If you accept the deal of purchase make sure that all repairs that are to be done before purchase are on paper, signed by all concerned parties and notarized.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
CaptHowdy

Wow! Thank you all for your quick replies. We have made an offer only to hold the home until we find out if we are "Park Approved". We will find out if the offer will be accepted in a few days, and then they will have maint. check all of the plumbing, gas/ water, and she said they will look at the appliances, but they could not guarantee them.

I have found out it is a 1989 Stafford 3 bedroom 2 bath home. 80ft x 14ft. When I hear back about my offer I will ask to look at it again, and I will bring my camera with. I really love to do all sorts of improvements, so I am sure I will be keeping before and after pictures.

I am concerned about the inspector subject. What should I be worried about with a mobile home? If we did get the deal, an inspector would be hired for the furnace, and fireplace, no question. And gas leaks I have dealt with at my current location, so I could repair those. Would the inspector just be looking at the frame and all that good stuff, just to make sure it isn't gonna collapse?

As for the roof...I still haven't figured that out yet. It is black, it is peaked, not flat...but it's not shingled. It looks like it has a rubber coating on it. It's not bare metal, but it looks like it could be metal under the rubber...does that make sense?

I appreciate all of the resources on this site. I did read the guide to buying a used MH, and it got me as far as where I am at now. I will definitely let you all know what I find on my next visit, and if they let me I will even have a few pictures too. It's kinda funny, the man who lived there in the past must have been a genius with landscaping timbers...there is a whole deck made out of them, and a surround that hides the skirting too...

:EDIT:
Sorry, forgot about your question on the ceilings...I looked in every closet, even in the water heater closet, and furnace closet...where it would be difficult to paint...all ceilings looked great.

Jon
Greg

Hi & welcome to our "family" There is really nothing that I can add, you have done your homework and know where to look. Have you checked the faucets inside to see if they work? There is obviously water coming from somewhere if the outside faucet is running.
This is also the best support group you can find anywhere in the world. I can gaurantee that if you have a problem it will get solved here. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
CaptHowdy

Thanks for the welcome Greg...I love your signature. That's my motto also.

We did check the faucets, and nothing came out. I'm thinking this hose must somehow be before the main shutoff...and if so, that definitely needs to be changed.
JD
Site Admin

Hi Jon,

Really don't meant to worry you about your new home. Maybe I made an assumption about this home. Most times when a person buys a home, they can talk to the owner who is living in and selling the home. At this point, disclosure would be expected. If you go to an occupied home and smell the pie baking, see the man of the house yelling at the football game and see that they are basically clean people, you would have a better idea that there may be nothing wrong with the utilities. You are also able to ask them if there are any problems. When you move into an unoccupied home and the park manager seems unfamiliar or aloof about the home, you will be taking a lot on faith and luck. You could check all lights by turning them on and watching for flickers. There is a $6 outlet checker that will tell you if the outlets are working and grounded. I was a bit concerned about aluminum wiring, until your post mentioned a 1989. I think they may have still been using co-alum wiring, but it is most likely copper.

The roof sounds like it is an early EPDM rubber roof. Black EPDM is still available now, but not used very often on mobile homes. This could be a good roof for you for years to come, if it is in good condition now. If this is a rubber membrane type material, there should be something between the metal and the rubber. In the early days, they used plywood or insulation. Some used standard batt insulation which turned out to be a bad idea. But even the first generation rubber roofs, which did get some bad press, are lasting 20 years and more here in Central Valley California. One good thing about single-ply roofs is, if it is leaking, there will be an obvious hole. You would want to check the corners, edges, vents and especially any seams.

I does sound to me like if could be a good home. Hopefully everything checks out for you. Let us know how it goes.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.