Best caulk for outside windows

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

dandjbarrett

I need to recaulk the outside windows of my '83 Horton doublewide. The storm windows are on the inside and the outside windows appear to be original to the home and are simply decorative paned windows. The caulking is damaged, cracked and needs to be repaired. What is the best kind of caulk to use? I've never owned a mobile home before and want to do as much repair to it as I can myself. I've discovered that there are a lot of jacklegs and shysters who over-charge for sloppy work, so if its to be done well, its up to me. I've ordered the MH Repair Manual offered here and LOVE it. I've already learned more than I'd have ever learned on my own, but don't see an article about re-caulking original windows. Thanks for tolerating the first of what will probably be many newbie questions. LOL. :D
JD
Site Admin

There are many products that could work for your outside windows. You want a caulk that is durable, mildew resistant and can "tool" well to be able to shape and clean it up to look nice. A readily available caulk that we use in those situations is DAP DynaFlex 230. It is sold in Home Depot and many other stores. It comes in white or bone.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
dandjbarrett

Thanks so much.