Hoping someone knows what I'm talking about

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

moonie

skirting... everyone with an older mobile home around here use this. It's metal with a kind of blockish looking pattern. ????

Anyway, I am sick to death of the vinyl skirting and since we are putting on new siding, I would like to find that metal skirting. I've looked at Lowe's and HD... the two places around here... and can't find it. Is this no longer in production? Does it have a specific name that I can call around and ask for? Naturally, I can't order it so need to find it locally.

Thanks.
moonie

I should have posted that I have asked neighbors and they all say it came from Lowes, or they can't remember, and none of the stores I have looked at carry it.
Yanita

HI,

I know what you are talking about but the name of the stuff alludes me now.

Another alternative is what we advocate here on site. Go to the Articles link above, about 1/2 way down on the left you will see an article on skirting. I know all these materials can be purchased at the big box stores.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!

Perhaps this link may help? I ordered from these guys before. I know you can't do online orders, but at least you may find what your looking for.
http://www.mobilehomeadvantage.com/item.cfm/ID/26/
JD
Site Admin

All of the skirting from Mobile Home Advantage is vinyl skirting in one form or another. I just picked up the insulated skirting (Rapid Wall) as one of the products I offer. While we do not need the insulation here in the Central Valley, CA, it is a much more rigid product that will hole up better to dogs leaning on it. It will install on very high walls without sagging. It also has kind of the look of concrete.

Sorry, can't help with the insulated metal skirting. I have not seen it in my area.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
kashton

The skirting kits we can get here in Canada are made of Aluminum. Not insulated, and you would have to order a pre-measured size. I myself prefer to cut my own. Roofing tin can be used and painted(have tried, and it had hold up for a couple of years so far), and was insulated on the under the trailer side.This was done on my aunts place. I have vinyl siding cut for skirting, which I am now replacing with plywood for the purpose of bringing my siding down lower to the ground. Also, it didn't stand up too well with the weed whipper.

If you want insulated skirting, I would recommend insulating each peace as you install.

JMO
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
troyster

Hi Moonie! I installed my insulation separate behind my skirting. I installed John Mansville 6 inch R-22 fiberglass wrapped in poly and in cold northern winters its like spring time under my home.
altasnowman

hello, i know the product you are looking for but the name of it slips my mind(old age catching up to me) and as far as i know it has not been on the market for at least 10 years now. you could check with a local roofing and siding company and have their purchasing agent check his books as they may have a supplier that could have a like kind of product. hope this helps.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
moonie

Thanks, everyone.

Yeah, the weed wacker is part of the reason I do not like the vinyl skirting and would like to find that metal stuff that you all know what I'm talking about but no one can remember what it's called. :)

I'm also thinking it probably is no longer available on the market unless Yanita knows for sure. Yanita, I see you live in NC... can you tell me which box stores has the stuff? None here do. And I've looked in Virginia too... Portsmouth and Chesapeake.

atlasnowman, good idea... I'll check with local roofing and siding suppliers. Why didn't I think of that?

I really don't like the look of that regular tin roofing stuff. Everytime I ask about the skirting, that's where they send me, though.

Anyone got an estimate of the cost per piece of that metal siding such as in the article Yanita pointed me to?

Thanks again.
Greg

Moonie, It really does not look bad at all, it is avalable in different colors. There is also cement skirting out there, a little too expensive for me. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
moonie

Thanks, Greg. Are you referring to the tin roofing being available in different colors? If so, that must be yet another item we can't find in our local stores. Just plain ole stuff. I -have- seen buildings with different colored metal roofing, like schools, rec centers and places like that. No telling where they ordered it from. I like the looks of it, though. But what I have seen, the colors are very bold.

That old metal skirting I was talking about is usually painted from what I've seen. At least my parents painted theirs and so did my neighbors.

I also have to consider price.
Yanita

Hi Moonie,

Sorry for the late reply...had to work late and then our weekly BBQ with friends.

Anyways, the stuff you are referring to, the aluminium with the designs, I am thinking that is originally tin ceiling. very costly these days, I have only seen it in salvage shops.

The new corrugated metal roofing that is in the article and what Greg is referring to is sold at Lowe's and Home Depot here. If you want the exact area, please email me. This product comes in blue, green, kind of a burnt red, & white., at least these are the colors I see locally.

Tried doing a quick search at Lowe's, and per usual came up empty, but I know the store has it. I will be going to Lowe's this weekend, will look for it, get prices and colors for you.

As for an approximate price quote, thats really hard to do, need the size of your home, and the height it is from the ground.

Sorry I can not give better info.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!