self cleaning ovens

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Linda

Don't remember this subject being discussed. Would a self cleaner be safe in a mobile? I don't need it to be self cleaning but it is just $20.00 more so was just wondering if it would be safe. Got up yesterday and went to make biscuits and when I turned on oven the bottom element caught on fire and that was the end of it. I have been looking at new stoves for two years and so now I have to buy. Just don't know about self cleaning never had one so wasn't sure if I should just pass or not.

Linda
Harry

Hi

We have an electric self cleaning oven.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi,

I have a self cleaning, and since I abhor a dirty oven I clean it often. To my knowledge there are no restrictions unless you are getting a wall unit oven. Some manufacturers suggest a 4 inch interior wall for self cleaning ovens.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi Linda

When I read Yanita’s post it prompted me to go back and read my oven installation instructions.

There are specific installation instructions that have to do with clearance, shielding material and other safety related issues you need to follow. Here’s a link to my oven’s installation instructions:

ftp://ftp.electrolux-na.com/ProdInfo_PD ... 9206en.pdf

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Thanks Harry for the confirmation...

Did not realize there where also guidelines for floor models. Thought there was only on in wall models...now I need to get the tape measure out on mine..... :roll:

Thanks again,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
kashton

I have a self cleaning gas. Since the temp gets so high, I pull it out from its space. I got the gas line so I could do just that. I also do it when the kids are out of the house. I can also set mine for a 1-4 hour clean.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Maureen

Hi Linda,

I can tell you from first hand experience, that self cleaning ovens do need that extra insulation.

I have a wall oven that really needs to be replaced. We've been trying to decide what to do. We want to extend the kitchen into the family room after the boys leave home. I really love wall ovens and I love the way the stove and oven are set up right now, but I can't put a self cleaning oven in here to code. If we move either the oven or stove top, we're looking at moving gas lines. That's not something I really want to do either.

Right now, everything is on hold until we have a perfect plan for our new kitchen!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'