tv antenna

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

busybee1952

How would I put a tv antenna up on my roof? Should I even attempt it? I do not want cable, just regular tv. Would I be better off to try to install an antenna on my pole barn roof which is about 20' from the trailer? I live in the woods in the tall oaks and it's hard to get reception here although the area over both the trailer and pole barn roof is pretty much clear of trees. Thanks.
Yanita

Hi Busybee,

I think I would stay away from installation on the roof.

The barn sounds better, perhaps with help I have even seen them attached to trees.

I have a strong tendency to want to keep anything off my roof, no extra holes, no people unless necessary.

JMO, Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Manitoba Bill

All my TV and CB antennas have been attached with clamps, but only to the sides of my mobile. I use 20' "pop-ups". (a galv. pole within a pole).
Just be sure and caulk the clamp holes and attach a grounding pipe into the ground.

I also used to turn the pipe to aim the TV antenna, much easier while standing on the deck.
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
JD
Site Admin

We use the brackets like Bill mentioned. We have to reinstall antenas when we install our roof with the 6" overhang. A standard bracket is too short for the overhang. We get the brackets at Radio Shack. They sell 4" and 12" units. They used to have a nice 8" size but discontinued it in my area. They sell the pole/mast there also.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
chasMB

I have a 30' foot tower on the front of the house attached at the Eve and buried 3 feet into the ground. It has held up to several hurricanes with no problem. It EVEN holds the Christmas Lights (375 C9 bulbs) every year. I would go with a tower....
Maureen

I've got a small 'tower' out back. Well now it just an eyesore that sticks out of ground out back near the shop.

In the past, on mobiles, when we mounted an antenna, it was to the side of the home as JD and Bill mentioned. We don't live near tornadoes or hurricanes, but I wouldn't drill anything into my roof.

I'd look at the pole barn as Yanita mentioned. Using an antenna is just one of those jobs that are sort of a hit an miss project. It's whatever works for your area. I think all of us older member remember having to to use foil flags or the youngest in the family to hang on the rabbit ears to get a good signal! In my house, when I was young, this only happened during the world series. We lived out in the sticks. That was pre Super Bowl days! We just lived with TV reception when the weather was just right LOL!

JD's correct, go to radio shack for antennas! They can provide you with the extensions and anything else you may need. We still keep our old radio shack antenna out back in a shed, just in case we ever need it! And we have! In years past when we had cable, it would go out for days at a time. We'd hook up the old antenna, and at least get local channels.. news.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Brenda (OH)

I wonder if dish tv is available and would work?

if you are going to have to install something, it might be worth it to go that route, most of the companies give you the dish for free....

I see a lot of the receivers in the park I am at, and they must work well there.

I freely admit I do not know if they are good in rural settings, I do know my cousins have one on their farm, but their home sits at the top of a cleared hill, no trees....

I live in a city and only have an antenna, but I sometimes consider getting cable so I could get HGTV, or the DYI channel lol but cable is so expensive here, for the basic package.

Brenda
JD
Site Admin

My first TV viewing was Felix the Cat on a round cornered black and white. Not state of the art, but what we could afford and it was mesmerizing. There was only one station, Armed Forces Radio and Television Network. Didn't matter, I thought that was all there was in the world. That is all there was in Panama C.Z.

Then years later, Gun Smoke, Mighty Mouse, Quick Draw, the Car 52 where are you show? I was now in Okinawa. Still only had the AFRTN, but also had all these cool and weird Japanese channels. And the best part, Color.

Back to the states, and I couldn't believe it! 5 stations that I could understand to choose from! Now the walk to the channel selector was becoming a nuisance but we did not have to watch Lawrence Welk. We did any way. I was the channel changer, not the selector.

Finally on my own, and I was going to have this new cable thing. Man was I in heaven. 28 unusable channels and MTV! Talkng Heads and Devo on my screen! I watched anyways. Heck, $8 a month wasn't so bad.

Then gravity set in. $10 a month and and additional $10 for an assortment of HBO's and Showcase's. Bite the bullet. I had movies without commercials.

Now, I am just numb. Stare at the TV, stare at the bill. $100 bucks a month! Have I been brainwashed or something? My first new car didn't cost $100 a month! I eventually owned that thing. And I can't get Felix the Cat on any channel.

Oh well, gotta go. Judge Judy is on.

JD

PS I apologize for veering off topic with my rant. I'll probably get an email from a mod or something.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
kashton

LOL, JD. Mighty Mouse used to be my fav. Was going to get a tatoo of Mighty Mouse when I was younger. Decided against it as I got older.

We get the Deja vu channel. I wish they had Hawaii 5-o on still.(Book em, Danno) We do watch Guilligan's Island. (Not that I haven't seen every episode numerous times already)

Does anyone else remember the old cartoons with Snaggle puss, yogi Bear, Boo Boo, etc?
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Greg

You know it's funny, I was talking to a guy at work earlier this week, and we both thought they could make a killing with cartoon CD, the old warner brother toons, Road runner, Fog horn, Speedy, Bugs, Yosemiti Sam, you know all the toons that were too violent. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hey Mods...

Consider this your veering off warning, LOL.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

OK Mom. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."