Storm Door

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

Hi all. This forum/site is really helpful! Especially for a newbie to mobile homes. My current issue is my broken, leaning, and leaking storm door.

I'm having the hardest time trying to find the right size storm door for my 98 Redman. I've called numerous Mobile Home places asking them how to measure my door and they have no clue how. One place says this and another says this. Can someone on this forum please help me decide what door size I need to get? The dimensions of the frame are 32" X 74" (height measured to the metal frame between the main door and storm door) or 32" X 75" (height measured to the floor in the home). I am currently looking at getting a 31 7/8" X 75" by the mobilehomestuffstore.com. Will this work? Let me know if you have any questions about my issue.

Thanks for your help.
archive

Hi Redman, welcome to the forum!

Most of our homes come standard with what they call combo doors. They are doors combined with a storm door. This may have changed with newer homes, but since your door frame is 75 inches in height... I'm sort of assuming that it's a combo door.

Look at the frame... is it all one piece? If it is, then I believe you'll have to replace it with a combo door. I'm not sure that you can modify that correctly.

You're only other option is to take the the whole door out and replace it with standard 80 inch door... and then add a storm door. Both will cost you a minimum of around $300.00.

We removed our old mobile door last year and replaced it with a new door... 80x32. We're trying to decide whether to spring for a storm door... or just go with a plain screen door there. Where we live, our other storm door gets very little use though out the year. We take the windows out and use the screen during Summer months. Doors are closed when the swamp cooler is on LOL!

I'm sure others will jump in with suggestions.

Maureen 8-)
archive

Hi Redman

Your assumption sounds correct but measuring the door opening (the hole where the door will go)would be best.

On door measurements it is best to measure the door opening. To do this most accurately you have to remove the door. You have to remove the door anyway. Until your new door arrives just temporarily reinstall the old door.

Good Luck

Harry
archive

You mentioned you have a 1998 home. Has the warranty expired? (just a thought that might save you a few bucks.)

Also, the manufacturer of the home might have accurate dimensions of the door opening.
archive

Thanks for the help. It is a combo door, but I should be able just to replace the screen door. It's bolted on by screws from the outside.
archive

Quoted From: chablis

You mentioned you have a 1998 home. Has the warranty expired? (just a thought that might save you a few bucks.)

Also, the manufacturer of the home might have accurate dimensions of the door opening.

How do I find out if my mobile home has a warranty? I bought it used. And I can't even find an official Redman site. Do you know of any websites or phone numbers? Thanks.
archive

The only real web information I could find was on a site called MHQuotes, where floor plans are given. I hope that you can find something helpful.
archive

Hi Redman,

Since this is a 1998 and you bought it used, most likely, you have no warranty left.

Now, this all depends... did you buy it from a dealer. Was it sold as is, or did it have a warranty?

Normally, on our homes... the longest warranty goes to the roof of our homes. I'm not positive if any of these are transferable.

I really doubt they cover the storm door though.

Maureen 8-)
archive

I BOUGHT MY HOME NEW IN 1998. AS OF 2/1/ 2007, MY CHILDREN DISCOVERED A LEAK IN THE ROOF OF THEIR BEDROOM.
HOW LONG IS MY WARRANTY?
archive

Hello,

If you bought the home brand new, all that information should be in your contract. You'll have to read through all of that paper work to find out for sure!

Every home, and every contract is different.

Maureen 8-)