To Drip or Not To Drip ??

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

Hi: New here and getting very nervous. They are predicting temps. at seven below zero this weekend.
I get different opinions from neighbors. Should I leave my spigots drizzle during the nite, or not. It's been a while since it got that cold. Several years ago, I left them drip, but the pipes froze. New heat tape since then. I am in a single wide. Or should I sit up all nite and run them off and on. Would really appreciate ideas,
especially since I doubt I could stay awake.
Thanks, Carm
archive

If the heat tape was installed properly and insulation added on top of that you really should have no problems but anything can happen.
archive

I agree with HVAC but one possible problem to consider is that the slow dripping into your drain going to your septic or sewer can freeze quickly and block it solid.
archive

Glad you added that to the answer. I have seen that happen before and trying to get the drain line free of ice was a real problem.
archive

As long as your heat tape is working, AND your underbelly is sound with no open holes you should be OK. Greg
archive

Hello,

Yes, I have to agree with all of the above! As long as you've inspected your heat tape, and it's in perfect working order, that's good. Belly and skirting sealed up, extra protection. Heat tape does need to be inspected each year.

Another tip is to leave the cupboards open under all sinks. Make sure to leave your heat up a few degrees.

If you have to run water, make sure it's a small stream, not a drip.

We just went through a similar cold snap, we came through like champs!

Best of luck!

Maureen 8-)
archive

Thanks everyone for your opinions. The water left running certainly makes sense that it would freeze the drain pipes. Since my heat tape is in good shape, I'll just go to sleep and hope for the best.
This too shall pass.
Carm