Buying used - Single wide vs Double wide

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mobtek

Our fist mobile home was (is) a 1989 Fuqua single wide. Very well built. We gave it a complete facelift over the years and it has been a great home.

We just purchased another piece of property and went looking at new mobile homes for it. :shock: After seeing the prices, we are back to looking for another good deal on a used one to remodel and move into.

While we love our single wide, I wondered what were the possible pitfalls of buying a used double wide? My concern is with buying a house that has been moved a few times. How often are there problems with the marriage line, leaking, etc etc? Is it something I should worry about? Single wides seem so easy - deliver, drop in place, level and done.

Opinions?

BTW - no, we are not going to move the house we currently have. It will either be sold or become a rental property.
1989 Fuqua SW
Greg

I think the problem would lie with the installer. If you have a quality installation on a quality foundation the problems would be minimal. A cheap hack job with the home just set on blocks would be more prone to problems.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mobtek

The property is sand. There will be a 4-6" thick road base pad placed before the house is installed. Then it will be on blocks and tied down.

That is how my current house is done and there have been no problems and very little settling in 13 years.
1989 Fuqua SW
Greg

Check with your code officer and check the requirements if any.

Greg
mobtek

Another question: There is currently a Double wide 1999 home on the property. Eventually it will be hauled off.

But... I looked at it inside and out, and it might be a candidate for a remodel. What makes me nervous are a couple of things.

1) There are some small (1/2-3/4") gaps in spots of the marriage line. There are no leaks in the house, and the owner says they have been there since they installed it back in 1999. Is this a potential problem? Is it something that might be fixed by having someone re-level the house?

2) There are a number of spots where possums chewed through the underbelly wrap, and then crawled into the air ducts, getting inside them. I crawled under and noticed a number of holes through out the underbelly. I am assuming that I could probably take a boroscope type camera and locate/fix the ducting, and then repair the underbelly wrap. Does that sound doable?

I ask because there may be a chance that I could put in a bid on the house. It is in default and the finance company might be willing to deal with me rather than have to haul it away. IF I could get it at a bargain price, it seems worth considering. It would be a lot of cosmetic work, but could be nice if the aforementioned problems could be solved.

Opinions?
1989 Fuqua SW
Greg

It would need to be releveled at the least. Plan on a total overhaul, with new under belly and heat ducts.

Greg
mobtek

Greg wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:34 pm It would need to be releveled at the least. Plan on a total overhaul, with new under belly and heat ducts.
Ouch. That sounds like a fortune in work. I know under belly insulation replacement costs a fortune. Not sure if it is something I could do. Thanks for all your help
1989 Fuqua SW
Greg

I say PLAN because one thing leads to another, open up the floor and you end up with wall damage. open up belly you usually find insulation and possibly floor & rim joist damage.
I have seen many people go in to do one thing and end up finding MUCH more and end up dumping a pile of money into it.
What I'm saying id plan for the worst. If you can pick it up right it may be worth it. Do a total inspection so you know what you are up against.

Greg