7" x 1/2" fascia board?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mdnagel

I have a section of fascia board, about 3" x 3", which got ripped out when one of my gutters pulled out from last winter's snow. The board measures 6 1/2" x 1/2" (or just slightly less), which I figure would be stated as being 7" x 1/2". I am unable to locate this dimension. I'd look to trim a wider board, but I cannot find any board that's 1/2" thick. Also, it's a textured chip board.

If I cannot find a new piece of board I suppose that I might be able to fill the existing hole, somehow. Aesthetics likely not an issue given that this is/will be covered up by a gutter (though, as being toward the end of the wall, I have a bit of concern about structural integrity needed for attaching the gutter- it was the gutter ripping out that messed up this section of fascia).
Greg

I would replace it with 1x8 ripped to the width. then rent a break and bend aluminum flashing across the home. all you have to do is bend a U that fits under the drip edge of the roof, across the facia and overlap the soffit.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mdnagel

Greg, I'm not following on how I can match up a 1" wide board to the existing 1/2" board(s).

Here's what I'm looking at:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

A 1x is actual 3/4" thick so you would only be 1/4" thicker. It would be an easy job to bend flashing to fit, just 2 bends to fit around the bottom and slip the top under the drip edge.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mdnagel

Sigh... as is the case with all lumber, the actual size is less. My 7 x 1/2 is 6 1/2 x 3/8. That means the difference is more like 3/8". I'm just going to plug the stupid thing and seal it up, as it won't be visible behind a gutter anyway.
mdnagel

Problem resolved! While cleaning out underneath the home I ran across an extra facia board!