Adding weight to side walls

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Leigh3251

Hi everyone new Mobile owner here. So i purchased an older 57ft x 15ft single wide and am planning to fix it up. The exterior looks bad to my eye with a felt roof, no eaves and thin metal sheathing that's all dented, over vinyl skirting. It's all gotta go so my plan is to put on a metal roof and build in such a way as to have overhang soffits of 8 to 10" all around. For the walls my thought is to remove the tin siding, replace all the insulation then sheet over with 1/2" OSB. wrap with tyvek and then side it with hardyboard. All of this adds a lot of weight and I have been told that I need to reinforce the chassis outriggers on the edges with either block work or wooden framework to the ground so as to carry that extra weight down to the ground. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to do this or if it's even necessary?
Greg

You need to figure out what you are starting with for studs first. If you have 2x6 wall studs than I think by adding parameter blocking the weight issue may be minimal.
I went with a full 12" soffit when I did ours, make it simple and minimise waste.
You may be able to drop to 3/8 OSB and save some weight & $$ there too.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Leigh3251

Hi Greg

It's 2x4 walls so if I were to add a 2x6 frame along the long sides from the ground to the chassis outriggers behind the skirting I should be good to go then ?
Greg

My concern is supporting the weight of the new roof on 2x4 wall studs. I don't know your location so I don't know if snow load is a factor. Where I am 2 feet of snow on the roof is a common occurrence.
Any blocking from the rim to the ground is going to help. Remember to check the home with a water level and make sure the home is level before starting or everything you do will be off.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."