Singlewide gutters

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Mtrumpower002

Hi! First time posting, long time reading. I am new to mobile home repair so I ask for forgiveness of my lack of knowledge ahead of time.

I recently acquired a 1971 50x12 singlewide that needs a complete restoration. I have read quite a few posts about roofs and have decided to go with a rubber roof.

My question is about the gutter system. I purchased the book by Mark and am very happy with it but in regards to installing house gutters on my trailer I am at a loss. My trailer does not have a fascia board behind the j channel drip rail and the siding is aluminum. My question is can I install a gutter system under/behind the j channel without a fascia board behind the gutter? Or should I go too option two and use gutters that have the brackets and secure them to the 1x2 studs behind the siding?

Any and all replies are welcome! Thanks in advance.
Greg

Most slip the full size gutter behind the factory "gutters" and just use the screw & spacer through the top of the gutter to hang them.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mtrumpower002

Greg wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:40 pm Most slip the full size gutter behind the factory "gutters" and just use the screw & spacer through the top of the gutter to hang them.

Greg
Thanks Greg. I will try to do this. I may have some issue getting behind the mini gutters though, due to the mini gutter being extruded aluminum. I have also wonder how I will bend them down into new gutter. Maybe I will make cuts every so often and try that. If that doesn't work I may have to just cut the front part of the mini gutter off. I'll keep updating my progress.
Greg

If you are going with full size gutters, you can take a pair of tin snips and cut the small gutter in half length way (just be careful the edge WILL be sharp) that way water will just run directly into the new gutters.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mtrumpower002

When you say "use the screw and spacer through the top of the gutter to hang them" do you mean screw this pacer through the mini gutter, not clipped to the standard gutter, but on top of the mini gutter and through the standard gutter? Or as designed, being clipped on the back side of the standard gutter and then bend the mini gutter over the clip?
Mtrumpower002

Greg wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:50 pm If you are going with full size gutters, you can take a pair of tin snips and cut the small gutter in half length way (just be careful the edge WILL be sharp) that way water will just run directly into the new gutters.

Greg
Got it! Thanks