Ceiling question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

samkind100

Hello,
I have installed a new roof over existing SW mobile home as follows:
- New roof is on double 2x10 headers supported by 6x6 posts. Really sturdy.
- The new rood is 2 feet higher than the main roof.
- The roof trusses are prefabricated.

I have also replaced the sheet rock on pretty much all ceilings except the kitchen and living room areas. The ceiling is only 8 feet high. Now that I'm about to replace the living room ceiling, I was wondering if I can actually raise the mobile home ceiling in the living room area (17'x14') by actually removing the mobile home ceiling and using the new trusses as support for the living room ceiling. My buddy (in construction business) thinks it's doable but had concerns about the two structure movement. He thinks that the structure would hold fine since the mobile home has settled enough over the 3 decades but he is predicting wall and ceiling drywall may crack. Note that the existing 8' walls will be replaced with 10'. I'm really leaning for this solution unless someone sees a good reason to avoid it. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.
Greg

Any time you connect two structures that are not on the same foundation you run the risk of cracking due to movement issues. If you are in an area that freezes I can almost guarantee problems.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
samkind100

Thank you Greg, Your input is inline of what others have told me.