rotted trusses

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Joel in GA

Hi, I need some advice on repairing rotted trusses. I;m pretty handy but far from a professional.

I have a 1987 14 x 70 that has been leaking on both sides of a fake dormer roof.
I have completely removed the wall and ceiling panels of about a 16 foot section.
There are 5 trusses that have rotted where they attach to the outside wall.

I have repaired the floor by adding some bracing to the floor joist and putting in two whole sheets of 5/8 plywood.
I have always tried to do a lot of repairs myself but I'm not sure how to repair the trusses.
I have seen posts about using plywood gussets but since I only need to add about 4 inces to the end of the trusses
it doesn't seem like it would be strong enough. I am going to remove the fake dormer roof to take some of the weight
off and hopefully reduce future leak problems.

The solution I am thinking about is to add 2x4 rafters next to the trusses. I would need to cut the rafter
at an angle over the outside wall to keep the ceiling flush. Would this work?
I would need to nail a center support board across the uprights in the center of the trusses but the metal plates
are 4" below the decking so I would need to notch these to raise them to 3 1/2". If I do this can I nail or screw
the 2x4 rafters into the 1x2 trusses?

I am trying to do this part myself and then hiring a roofer to save cost.

Thanks to anyone who has read this far and thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

I can also add a tip for anyone working on a mobile home. Invest in a pair of fencing pliers.
I could not believe how many staples were in the ceiling and floor. This tool will yank them right out.

Joel
Greg

Your best bet may be to build a new truss and sister it in next to the rotted one. If you can post a few pictures I could get a better idea of what you are up against.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Joel in GA

I only have one side open. could I build a half truss?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

As long as the other half is sound I don't see why not. You want to make sure everything is sealed up water tight.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."