Rough opening is too small

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ChuckS59

Hey everyone,
I'm working on doing some renovation on my 1973 Eldorado. I'm trying to make it more energy efficient one room at a time. The room that I've started in I've already removed the paneling, beefed up the insulation and replaced it with 1/2" drywall. I also wanted to replace the old and inefficient crank out windows with low E vinyl windows or at the very least newer single hung vinyl or aluminum windows. Regardless of the window type I continue to run into the same problem, size... Every window that I've come across so far requires a rough opening 1/2" higher than what I have currently. My rough opening is 26.50" and 27" is the common size. The width is spot on at 46.25", technically it may be too snug??? Not sure there? Obviously there's special order windows to be had but I wanted to ask if anyone knew of a source for windows that I can use. I've checked the local Mobile Home Depot and Mobile Home Parts Store online so far. I'm going to check with Lowes and Home Depot this week. They carry mobile home windows in this area because of having so many down here in SW Florida. Any information or ideas would be appreciated.
Chuck
Greg

As long as you have the walls open, it is an easy job to enlarge the rough opening. Find the windows you want (I used stock sizes) and cut the studs to the proper size. I used screws over nails, easy with a cordless driver and less pounding.
New construction windows are easier to install, make sure everything is level & plumb before the final installation.
The first one will take the longest, after that, a couple hours each.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ChuckS59

That thought had crossed my mind Greg but I've already hung the drywall inside.
Greg

Can you open up the outside wall easily?Or is the inside wall finished yet? you could unscrew the panel by the window.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ChuckS59

Good thought, I will definitely look at that possibility. And the inside wall is half finished...