Best way to put on siding

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

clancaster23

Putting on new vinyl siding in a couple weeks and wondering what the best way to do it would be and it still look good. Right now it has the white metal (not sure if it's aluminum or what) siding on it but it's not flat. It has vertical outward grooves in it about every two inches. I was planning on just taking it all off, throwing on 1/2" osb and then house wrap and the siding so I would get a nice smooth surface and then put up the siding. I Saw another siding job being done where they just put furring strips all around the walls, filled in the gaps with insulation and then put the siding on top of that, never completely removing the old siding. I don't think I could do this method though since my siding now has the grooves in it and I couldn't get it flat. Is my original way the best way to do this or is there a better way I'm not thinking of?
Greg

You want some sort of underlayment and house wrap under the siding. You will not believe how much more solid & quieter it will be with OSB. It's about the only way you will get the siding to lay flat.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."