Finding a Water Valve for a House Bib?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

hstassen

I moved into a 1971 Superior Homes trailer just over a month ago. I have a house bib installed that had been turned off for the winter (I am in MN). I tried to find the valve to turn it on, but to no avail.

I pulled up skirting to check right where the spigot is first, but the piping goes up into the subfloor, so I can't trace it. I then checked where the main water supply to the trailer is, but that didn't help either. Lastly, I check all sinks in my trailer to see if it was connected in there.

I have also checked to see if the ceiling tiles are removable in case it was wrapped around up there some how (as old houses do on occasion), but to no avail.

Any tips for turning my water on/finding the valve? I really don't want to have to hire a plumber for this "simple" task, but it seems to be getting there.

Thank you!
Greg

You simply may not have one. from the factory most homes do not have ANY shutoff valves unless someone adds them. Check near the water heater where the main line comes into the home.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
hstassen

Greg wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 6:56 pm You simply may not have one. from the factory most homes do not have ANY shutoff valves unless someone adds them. Check near the water heater where the main line comes into the home.

Greg

That makes sense...I have yet to find a water valve for anything but the water heater (not even a main shut off) since I started looking.

Do you know of any way that I could get the spigot to work if it is an issue independent of a water valve? I haven't noticed any hissing air or anything when I try to turn on the spigot. I am going to try and take it apart (it is a frost free setup) and see if there is something messing with it that way.
Greg

If you have chased the line and can't find a valve, the frost free spigot may be bad. Where did the plumb it into? I went into a sink supply when I did ours, but there are lots of ways to do it.

Greg
hstassen

The line that supplies the spigot (traced back by removing skirting right next to the spigot) goes right up into the subfloor of the trailer, so I have not the slightest clue how it is patched in. Overall, it is a pretty janky situation that may ultimately just need to be redone.
Greg

You may want to cap it off and run a new line that you know how it is run.

Greg