Loud knocking under home

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

concretegardenstx

We have a 1995 Palm Harbor doublewide in NE Texas.

Every once in a while we will hear a knocking sound under the house. Like a loud, rhythmic knock, like you would knock on someone's door. It happens day or night, and different parts of the house. It happens during the winter and the summer, and it happens in parts of the house with and without plumbing. It is completely random that I know of, usually we hear it (it might be between 5 and 12 knocks) but never enough for us to try and investigate it.

This morning the knocking woke me up at about 6:30, coming from the corner of the house where the master bedroom is. I heard it again about 11 this morning coming from the other side of the master bedroom, and again just now (2:30) from the master bedroom.

I'm actually working so I can't get out there to try and pull the skirting off (I've never had luck trying to do that) but does anyone know what it might be? Would an animal be able to make such a forceful knock, and so rhythmically?

Thanks,
Zel
Greg

Some type of animal is the first thing that comes to mind. You should do an inspection under your home, look for holes/rips in the underbelly, holes or gaps in the skirting. You could try Decon under the home, but I don't like using IN the home since the critter may die in the home and create a stench.
You could also try a live trap.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mark440

I will guess most probably a critter - sharpening it's teeth on something. They really like the metal and/or plastic straps that hold plumbing and ducting.

And that was the end of the good news.

If it is a rat - be prepared to have one heck of a mess in short order. If there is flex duct - make it even shorter as they will gain access to your ducts. From there they will pee and poop all up and down the line. (Of course, if you are lucky - your ducts are NOT under the house!). And it sounds like they've already gained access to the belly - which means pee and poop in the insulation.

FWIW - I speak as a graduate from the school of "Nasty stuff a rat can do". Replaced ALL hvac ducting with metal: $3700. Replaced all belly insulation: $1700. Replaced cheap plastic skirting with real critter prevention skirting (metal): $2300

Don't wait. Don't even hesitate. The meter is running. Every time you hear that knocking sound means they are sharpening their teeth for another go-round of destruction.

Oh wait....I failed to note that I have had to replace every single 220v wiring run. They just love the insulation - right down to the bare wire...... It makes one heck of a popping sound when it shorts.....
Opportunity has a shelf life.