88 Doublewide Cathedral Ceiling Ventilation Question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Starnesz

I had some hail damage and am getting my roof redone. The roof currently has a ridge vent but that has cause some serious leaking issues and two of three people I got quotes from recommended not replacing it and adding the standard low profile vents. I'm planning to go with the low profile vents but have a lack of understanding of how they would work effectively. My thought process is that the vent would go between some of the roof joist, but how does that help the sections that don't have a vent between them? If they were notched or furred out to create sections that would make sense but most things I find do not seem to support that idea. When I questioned the roofer he said he wasn't sure as well and we didn't have to put any vents if I did not want to and we could seal it up. Which in my research a video from "HomeShowRadio" comes up a lot and seems to agree with that idea.

So the simple question is: If you were currently redoing the roof of a double wide with a ridge vent should another ridge vent go in its place, should I use low profiles (id love to know more about how they work if so), or should I just seal it up with the only vents being for the bathrooms?
Greg

I am not sure what you mean by redone. If it were me I would do a roof over with corrugated steel. You can add a 12" soffit with vented vinyl and a full ridge vent. You need to have an air flow from bottom to top and with only a few low profile vents you will not have that good of a flow.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Starnesz

Thanks for the input, Redone may paint the wrong picture. I had some hail damage and they are going about tearing off the old shingles and putting on new ones. Replacing old OSB and patching old water heater vents and whatnot. Im trying to figure out my best option or venting or not venting in my current situation.
Greg

If you have soffits I would do vented soffits with a ridge vent. That will allow flow under the entire roof. If you do not have soffits now would be the time to add them. They will also help protect the outside walls from water damage since water from the doof will drip clear of the wall.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."