Drywall, what thickness should I use for the walls?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ChuckS59

Hi everyone,
I just joined the group and this is my first question to post.
I recently purchased my first mobile home, a 58' 1973 Eldorado that needs some updating. My plan is to gut one room at a time, add insulation and new windows then replace the paneling with new wall board. The home is located in SW Florida.
A contractor friend of mine who does mostly kitchen remodels in mobile homes suggested using 1/2" drywall, that is what he uses. I have read that newer homes are built with 1/4" drywall which to me seems too thin. I was thinking about using 3/8" myself but he kind of frowned upon that as being too thin. So I'm really undecided on what to use here. I will be putting the drywall on the WALLS ONLY. The ceiling tiles are in great shape and will remain intact. They are to be painted only.
Any input will be appreciated.
Chuck
    Greg

That is a very difficult question to answer, here's why.

A home that old is a pre-HUD home. What that means is in the 80's HUD got involved in the mobile home industry with required standards. Some of the older homes met or exceeded the standards, others were so far under the standards that it wasn't funny.

With ANY mobile home remodel weight is always an issue. Excessive weight can bow the floor joists if the home is not properly supported possibly with parameter blocking. With out knowing what you have for wall studs & support I honestly cannot say what you would be safe with.

Greg
    "If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
    ChuckS59

The parameter is blocked completely except for 2 small access areas of less then 3 feet. The size of the studs is still unknown and I will reply back as soon as I get a panel down, hopefully this weekend. Thank you Greg.
    Chuck