Mobile Home with Polybutylene piping Question?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

CountryLiving34

Hi friends! I have a leak underneath the kitchen sink. The piping is Polybutylene (I think). I need to repair. Basically, I need to cut out a section of pipe and replace to stop the leak. Polybutylene I am told is no longer in use but shark bite fittings can be used to adapt from Polybutylene to Pex? If yes, do I need to buy a crimper and use those crimp bands or can I just use hose clamps? Can you cut Polybutylene piping with PVC Pipe cutters? If you need more details, ask and I will respond. I am not very good with this type of stuff.
Greg

Yes it looks like PB tubing to me. there are adaptors that go from PB to PEX that use the crimp type ring. Personally I do not trust the push lock type connectors for a permanent repair , I have had them leak.

PVC cutters will work, I have heard of people cutting it with pruning shears but I don't know how good of cut they would make. You would need to use a crimp style ring or cinch type clamp to clamp the fitting. Hose clamps do not have enough force to secure it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
CountryLiving34

Thanks so much Greg for your reply--
You are always so helpful. :D