Doorbell transformer location?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

JimMcGovern

I recently bought a 1985 Palm Harbor doublewide manufactured home. The front (and only) doorbell is not working and I assume the problem is the transformer, but I cannot locate where it is.

I looked for the transformer in all the closets, in the utility room, by the hot water heater, and by the circuit breaker box. I don't think it would be above the ceiling, as there isn't any access to an attic or crawl space anywhere. There is no garage.

I originally guessed that the transformer would be under the house very near the front door, but when I crawled under the house I wasn't able to see much due to the underbelly fabric and insulation. I am very reluctant to start cutting open the underbelly willy nilly without knowing, or at least strongly suspecting, the area where the transformer will be located.

Does anybody know where the transformer should be? Is there a "standard" or typical location for it with (Palm Harbor) mfctred homes?

Thank you!
Jim
Greg

Is it possible that it is incorporated in the chime?
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JimMcGovern

No, unfortunately it's not inside the chime. That would have been nice and easy.
Greg

Try in the furnace cubby?

here's a few more ideas https://www.google.com/search?q=doorbel ... e&ie=UTF-8

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."