Lag bolts and creaky floors

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

littlehoov

Hello, i have a 2005 Clayton doublewide. I'm having some problems with creaky floors, they have always been a bit creaky, but have amped up recently with the colder weather.

I have found several recommendations to "tighten up the lag bolts" underneath. However when I crawled under there yesterday I couldn't find them?

Where should I be looking? My belly wrap is in good shape, are they underneath it? Are they around the edges or middle?

Just needing some guidance, thanks.
Greg

The lag bolts secure the joists to the top of the I beams of the frame.
What type of support do you have under the home? If you are in an area the freezes without below the frostline footers, it is possible that the ground is heaving and slightly moving the home.
It is also possible that the subfloor could be moving slightly on the joist. It may take a little investigating to find.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
littlehoov

Ok, so every spot where the ibeams and floor joists meet there is a lag bolt on the top side of the beam? Which in my case would be above the belly wrap?

The home is set on blocks with concrete footers, but I don't know how deep they go. I'm in oklahoma, notorious for foundational shifting. The home was set here new in 2005, we bought it about 2 years ago, it had a few minor settling-related issues, but we figured it had most of that out of its system by now.

I will have to check some of the places where the wrapping has been cut for utilities to see if i can find what I'm looking for.
Greg

The lag bolts are usually exposed. At the factory the belly material is usually installed to the floor joists and then the home is set on the frame rails and bolted with the lag bolts.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."