Help! Installing new storm door and stuck

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jcarr492

We have a 99 palm harbor doublewide. We purchased a Kinro storm door 38x80 to replace the old original one. Our old one was a 38x80 as well. But we can’t get it on. I don’t want to force it on, or are the pretty tight squeeze to get on and into the J channel? i have a short video but do t know how to add them on here from my phone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

It sounds to me like you are going to have to open up the hole in the siding a little to fit it in. Not too bad of a job, but it will take some time to do.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
jcarr492

It’ll fit with the measurement of the outer sides, the J channel. The part that isn’t fitting is the squared part inner to the J channel. The one on our frame is 1” wide and on the storm door only 3/4” wide to install it over.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

So if I am understanding you correctly the problem is that the J channel is too close to allow the door frame to sit down flush against the wall. If so than you can either pull the siding sections & j channel by the door and shorten the sections up by 1/2" and reset the J. Or cut down the door frame, you could use the groove at the 7/8" mark as a guide. but it will be very hard to get a straight cut.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."