Flooring soft spots

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

pinkelephants

I have quite a few soft spots in several areas-kitchen has soft spots well away from walls.I can't figure a reason for this,any idea,opinions greatly appreciated
Greg

There are a few possibilities, but the most likely one would be a plumbing leak. You will need to replace the bad sections of the subfloor with plywood.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
pinkelephants

there is no water source anywhere near -everything around is solid & BAM,soft spot
I am concerned that I will just have to empty the kitchen & remove flooring.30 yr old home with subfloor,original linoleum,12' peel & stick,then sheet vinyl on top.hubby theory is a dropped knife(he's flailing here!),but it would have to pierce clean thru all the above & have liquid going thru all as well.None of that is going on.just hoped that we could get some ideas b4 tearing up the kitchen!!
m5online

My place a 1972 double wide. I had a few significant soft spots in my kitchen, especially near the sink area. I pulled up the linoleum and cut out the soft spots and replaced with OSB. The thing is, there was ZERO water damage, the whole area was bone dry and show now staining or spots at all of past damage. The flooring was just 1 inch thick particle board that was just really old and started flexing. Lots of foot traffic in front of the kitchen sink over the years. I also had soft spots around the in-floor air registers, again, no damage, just old and flexing..