Hardwood Pallet Flooring!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

TomAllyn

I sometimes wish that I participated in this forum more often. However, I'm really limited in what I can and can't don't or when I can do things due to a partial disability in my right hand and arm. However, I'm committed to this project. I been doing a lot of research on using reclaimed pallets and other materials for different projects. I finished a set of reclaimed wood open shelves for my kitchen and was amazed at how beautifully they turned out - I'm really picky about work being well done. I'd never done anything like those shelves before so I'm sure it was beginners luck - but I couldn't be more pleased. I will try to remember to add a picture of the shelving to this post when I get home from work - I'm typing this message while on break. LOL One more thing I'm lucky in that my subfloors are all plywood and in good shape.

So the next project that I am planning for is installing reclaimed hardwood pallet flooring throughout my MH. I've done a lot of research and my birthday is this month so my daughter is actually ordering pallet breaker for my birthday.LOL

I didn't know until recently, but many pallets are made from hardwood especially oak. There are markings on pallets that let you know if they are safe to use or not because of being treated with chemicals or not. I'm actually really excited about this as I think I may have a great source for enough free clean pallets to do my whole 1500sqft home minus kitchen and bathrooms. I've not decided what flooring to use in my kitchen, bathrooms, and laundry rooms yet. I'd love to use the wood, but I'd worry too much about water, I may use luxury vinyl tile but would love to use something reclaimed.
Greg

If you have the tools & skills it is possible. The problem you may encounter is matching the final thickness of the planks. You will need a thickness planer to plane the rough cut wood smooth and you will need to be within a few thousands of an inch on the thickness of all the planks to save a lot of sanding. I don't know if you have ever done a hardwood floor or not, but I did an unfinished hickory floor when I built a log house. It was a beautiful floor but a LOT of work, putting down, sanding and finishing took a few weeks.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Jim from Canada

As Greg said, getting them to the same thickness is important. You will want them pretty smooth too (no splinters). The other critical operation would be to put a tongue on one edge and end, and a matching groove on the opposite edge and end so they interlock. Once down it will have to be all sanded again and then finished. Filling all the nail holes would be recommended too.
TomAllyn

Thanks for the replies and the advice. I haven't been in high school for many years, but my wood shop teacher is still the wood shop teacher at my old High School and he said I could use the planer and joiner at the school and he'd help me on a Saturday. So I'm lucky in that regard.

Also here is the promised picture of the open shelves and also my daughter and I did the tile back splash too. [imgImage[/img]