tubs and toilets backed up

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

MelissaD

Hi all
This is my first time posting. My name is Melissa. I have a single wide mobile home in a MHP that I have resided in for the past 20 years that does not have the greatest plumbing. My home's plumbing never had any problems until........
Late last night I had started a load of clothes in the washer. A few minutes later I was near the bathroom when I heard a lot of water gurgling from the tub and up through the drain rose nasty brown water that just sat there. Happened to the commode too, My roommate yelled to me from the other side of the house that the same was occurring on her end.
The only problems i've had was a couple of days ago the toilet, instead of flushing, rose to the top of the bowl. After using an auger three times it did not go down and nothing came back on the end of the auger. Eventually overnight the water slowly went down and flushed normally.
What could the problem be? Where do I start?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Sincerely,
Melissa
Greg

You really did not give a lot of information, but it is obvious there is a blockage somewhere.
If you are going to do the work your self you can expect to get dirty and most likely wet. So if that does not appeal to you, you may want to contact a plumber. You could try a plunger, but I would doubt you would get any results. It sounds like you will need to snake the main pipe. You will need to open up the clean out Tee to get the snake in and probably get wet when you do.

You did not say if you are in a park, own land, municipal sewer or septic tank. Each one is slightly different. If you are in a park, you could contact the manager and get some help from them. If you have a septic tank, the tank could be full and there is just no room for more.

This is not the type of job most people really want to get involved with so no one would blame you for calling a plumber.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."