Burner won't come on

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

TorstenW

Hi, I have an older Coleman/Evcon propane furnace model # DGAM056 BDC, and its got problems.

The blower won't light most of the time, occasionally will though, and when it does usually only once per try. So I tried learning about troubleshooting it on the internet, and started taking a few things apart to test. It seems that the gas valve gets full voltage for a split second and then disappears. Yes, the igniter plate comes on for several seconds but turns back off when the burner doesn't come on.

I can jump the gas valve with a 24volt source and get it to flow resulting in the burner lighting as long as the jump is kept, but that's probably not the correct way to get the furnace working and live to tell about it long term lol.

What should I try next? Thanks for any guidance and direction.
TorstenW

Darren at the parts store was kind enough to walk me through the issue over the phone today, and we are going to try replacing the ignition control module first. He had the part in stock for a good price, and it's going to get here in a few days. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
TorstenW

Problem solved, the furnace works again. The new ignition module was the answer.....