Removing ceiling tiles

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

fairytalesrcute

Hi all! New to this group and mobile homes in general. I recently bought a "cabin" that's a 1966 Fleetwood mobile home with alterations and an addition of a living room and additional bedroom. The addition is made and framed just like a normal house. The ceiling on the mobile part is extremely low, like I think only 6'6" or 7'. The ceiling has long ceiling panels with rosettes. What I want to do is remove the ceiling tiles and any T Bar to make the ceiling taller. I am assuming there will be structural beams going across the mobile like a typical house and will hopefully be able to create an open industrial type ceiling design. My question for those experienced with mobiles is: 1. Is this possible, 2. Do u think the Tbar is load bearing, 3. Do you have any recommendations for heat and cooling retention after the ceiling is removed. I would ask the manufacturer but I was informed by the successor entity it was dissolved in 2009. I will be hiring a contractor to do the work but I am in the design phase and know mobiles are different to work with than houses. Thanks in advance!
Greg

The ceiling panels are attached to the bottom of the roof trusses, You can not change the truss without compromising the roof support. The ceiling height sounds about normal for homes of that vintage, there are really no easy ways to give you more height.
You may find it cheaper & easier to replace the home with a newer home with a vaulted ceiling, but that could open a whole new can of worms with zoning regulations.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."