Wall gaps

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

JustAKYGuy

I live in northern Kentucky in a 1986 Redman that is installed on a foundation with a full basement that is partially finished. The home has been on the foundation since it was put into service. We moved into this home about 7 years ago and have had some problems with cracks that spread to about 1/8" wide during the winter and almost disappear once the weather warms up. We are the third owner and were told about the cracks when we bought the house. They have been pretty consistent in width and length since we bought the house. However, about a week ago we noticed that there are gaps between outside and interior walls appearing all over the house. In one bedroom, a small gap has appeared between the wall and the ceiling almost all the way around the room.

Based on what I have found on this forum, the wall gaps sound like a floor sag issue. The previous owner put in a Pergo floor that is starting to separate and will soon be replaced with carpet. Perhaps the floor separation is another symptom of this problem. Do I need to worry about releveling the home if it is on a foundation? I don't see any issues with the foundation in the unfinished areas of the basement. We did have a broken pipe over the summer, but that damage was fairly minor compared to some other water damage I have seen.
Greg

I have questions about the support system. Are there I beams running across the basement to support both the frame rails and the outside wall rim joists? Do you know who designed the support system, A structural engineer?
Can you post a few pictures?

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JustAKYGuy

There are 7 or 8 steel I beams that span the width of the basement and are resting on the foundation wall on both sides. Each I beam has a pole underneath it at the marriage line to support it from the floor. I don't have any information about who designed the structural support or who did the installation.

I can get some pictures when I get home from work tonight. Should I post pictures of the support structure or just the wall damage?
Greg

The more pics the better. There are lots of eyes here that may see problems.

Greg
JustAKYGuy

Here are some pics:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JustAKYGuy

It looks like some of the pics didn't get added and the ones that did are rotated, so let me try this again...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JustAKYGuy

crack under marriage line (600x800).jpg
support beam on foundation wall (600x800).jpg
ceiling molding separating under marriage line (600x800).jpg
JustAKYGuy

pic
JustAKYGuy

pic
JustAKYGuy

pic
JustAKYGuy

pic
JustAKYGuy

pic
JustAKYGuy

OK. I couldn't figure out how to put multiple pics in so I added one per post. Sorry if that is too odd.

Thanks for looking at these for me.
Greg

I have to agree that something is shifting. Looking at the marriage wall cracks I would guess that either the center is raising or the sides are dropping.
Have you checked the home with a water level? I think I would do a relevel and then keep a close eye on things. If you see the cracks change check the level again and see if you can tell what has moved.

Greg
JustAKYGuy

I haven't done any level checks or anything. I am just starting to dig into this issue since it is relatively new. This is the first problem I have had to deal with since buying the home and I haven't owned a mobile home before, so I guess it is time to start digging into the how to articles.

Thanks!