A/C and heat comes from the ceiling vents. Are the existing floor vents necessary?

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

NanaMary

I own a 1974 mobile home which I've lived in for 12 years. It's quite comfortable; the central heat and a/c works fine and the energy bills are relatively low, no doubt due to double glazed windows and living in the California climate.

The home has ceiling vents and floor vents. The a/c and heat comes down from the ceiling; I've always assumed that the floor vents were there for a reason. When the power company sends free techs to help seniors, they get on a ladder and inspect the ceiling vents, as well as checking the heating and cooling systems. I believe I've asked about the floor vents when a tech is here, and whatever they said (can't remember, actually) made me think they are necessary. Something about the air flow? I wish I could remember, but oh well.

Now my handyman says that the floor vents should be covered, as all they do is let in hot or cold air from under the home. I am worried about closing them off, thinking I might disrupt something in the system.

I realize I can hire a heating and a/c tech to find this out for sure, but I'd like advice from people on this forum first. Thank you!
Greg

They are most likely cold air returns to the furnace. They "return" cold air to the furnace to be reheated and sent through the ceiling vents as hot air. It sounds like you have one of the better systems, most manufactured homes just use a filter in the furnace door to suck air through.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
NanaMary

Thank you, Greg. That makes sense to me. They did call this home "top of the line" when I purchased it, but realtors seem to exaggerate things on occasion. I appreciate your response.