New rubber roof over old rubber roof?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

stevieb

Hi everyone!
Hope someone can answer this question. About 10 year ago we had a rubber roof installed over the original galvanized roof. This is a single wide 14 x 64. They did an excellent job and I was very pleased with the work.
In our last storm a small branch fell on the roof. I went up and looked and found a small tear and immediately patched it correctly. I noticed several other tears/openings in the membrane. All are over the big round washers they used to secure the rigid insulation under the rubber membrane. They all can't be from this one branch!
The guy who did the work retired and of course closed up shop.
So my question is, Is it possible or feasible to have another rubber roof installed over this one? I am getting to old to keep going up and making repairs. I don't think I want a metal roof over. We live in an area where there is only one mobile home repair company and he is always busy and very pricey.
Thanks for all your help
Steve
Greg

By code you can not have a roof with more than two layers thick. So to keep in code you would have to remove the existing rubber roof and replace it.
I am not that familiar with rubber to know if there are any coatings available or not. You could contact another roofing company that does rubber and get their advice.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Jim from Canada

No. You do not want 2 water impermeable surfaces next to each other. Any dampness or moisture (or even humidity) will get trapped between the layers and mold will grow.
stevieb

As an update................we had a reputable company install a silicone product by Gayco. Man is it slick, I mean really slippery. Has a 25 year warranty. So it should out last me! Rubber roof was scrubbed clean with a citrus product, bonding agent applied than 2 coats of the final white silicone.
Jim from Canada

That sounds like a good solution. By the sounds of it there is still only 1 layer as everything is bonded together. Congrats on solving the issue.
JenniferK

Yes, it is a good solution. We are also planning for the roof insulation this year.