Combining two rain gutter downspouts

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

I have a seamless rain gutter on both sides of my house that drain on the west side where I park my truck. Therefore it makes for a muddy situation when it rains, unfortunately. I'm trying to think of a good design to combine both downspouts and then divert them into a pipe that I will bury in a trench. That should eliminate the muddy mess when the rains come.

Has anyone done something similar? If so, can you post some photos?

Thanks!
mdnagel

Probably a little late to be of help to the OP, but...

I get a LOT of rain, in the vicinity of 70"/year! If you take an area adjacent to your house that's equal to 1/2 of your roof area that adjacent area is getting TWICE the amount of water/rain fall as is coming straight down from the skies! For me that was 140"!

This past summer I dug two ditches from the back corners of my house coming away from the downspouts. Trenches were filled with drain rock. Both feed out into larger ditches: I'm fortunate in that I have a lot of property in which to do/accomplish this.

On one end of the house I used to have drain hoses coming from both corner downspouts, joining up (in the middle) and then running out via one hose (into a large ditch). I got tired of always having to move those hoses around, hence the trench work. While I was able to address the one corner's discharge I wasn't sure about the other corner (I have buried electrical in that area, so trenching there isn't an option- and, there's no place to run/fan that water out to going from that corner out and away from the house). So...

I retained one hose off of one downspout and ran it along the bottom edge of the house/skirting and over to meet up with the other downspout (which outputs straight down into the covered trench), thereby draining into the same trench. I'd initially thought about a more rigid downspout extension that would angle down and over to that spot; it's still under consideration pending analysis of how my current solution works.
nestsman

Thanks for your feedback. Could you post a photo so I can see how it turned out?