New roof - finally

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Greg

Well after jumping through hoops and being met with roadblocks from about code agency in NY I finally ordered the steel for our new roof yesterday.

To give you guys an idea of what has happened over the last 5 months, it started in April when I noticed wall damage by the window. I figured that since that was the window the A/C is in that it was from that. When I opened the wall to replace sheetrock I found that either I have water that runs UP or I have a roof issue.

After checking the roof I found numerous pin holes (the roof is 25 yrs. old) so I did a quick coat job to buy some time and started planning a roof over. Now me being the way that I am (and living across the street from the village clerk) I try to do things open and legal, so I checked with the codes officer to find out what I would need. His reply was " Are you a certified manufactured home mechanic?" Now in NY the code reads that anyone doing structural repair or modification to a Manufactured home must be certified. He said that the easiest way around it is to get my certification.

So I took the course in August ($200) and was the only one in the class to ace the test. I went back to the codes officer and he said "Do you have your certificate?" Now in NY THAT costs another $100 PLUS you have to put a $5000 bond with it. At that point I figure I am in this deep I may as well go for it. And this is where the fun started. Since I am NOT a professional a bond is next to impossible to get.

It took a Phone calls to Albany and talking to the Deputy director of the State department of NY to get an opinion that since I am doing a repair and not an addition I do not need to be certified.

Now as the codes officer said, If I had just gone and done the roof most likely no one would have said anything but I tried to do things the right way.

So at this point I am Certifiable, just not certified. But the steel is ordered!!! :D

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
UmpJJ

Hey! Now that you're officially Certified, you should hire yourself out until you recoup your investment!

UmpJJ
Greg

That is where the problem lies. I am technology NOT certified since I did not get the licence from the state due to the bond issue. Plus after 10 hrs at the shop I really just plain don't feel like doing more work. 30 years ago maybe.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."