Wall/stud removal for water damage

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cat_mobile

This is the continuation of my bathroom renovation.

I removed more drywall and did find that there is water damage also on the ceiling where the stack vent goes through:
IMG_5394.JPG
IMG_5393.JPG
This illustration kind of shows what my bathroom is like. Can the studs outlined here in red be removed and then put back in later so that I can do a more thorough clean up around it? As well as the bottom too? Since the subfloor beneath it seemed to have a bit of water damage as well? What would be the best way to go about this?
000 (2).jpg
(green is for mold damage)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

From the looks of the studs, the only thing they hold up is sheetrock & plumbing.
Traditionally in a single wide the interior dividing walls are all non load bearing unless there is a change in the roof height at there location. I did learn at the course I took a week ago is there are shear walls. they are in place to support the wall against wind load. they are identifiable by lag bolts in the bottom plate and multi pal floor joists (2 or 3) screwed together under it for support. But I doubt this is the case here.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
cat_mobile

Thanks for the info!
Does this count as height change if it slants upwards like this?
https://ibb.co/i4SgP5

Also, just realized that the screws on the sides and bottom are rusted and very hard to get out on it.

Is there a way to get around this? Most of the damage is right where this wall is (top ceiling corner and also on the subfloor right underneath it).
Greg

By change in roof height I meant the older flat or domed roofs. Some had roofs/ceilings that raised a foot or so usually in the living room & kitchen. Yours is just a normal vaulted ceiling.
Rusted screws are common. Since you are redoing the wall I would just take a bar to them and break them off.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
UmpJJ

Since you've gutted the bathroom/shower area anyway, you might consider removing those studs altogether and replacing them with metal studs once you get the mold and water damage dealt with. That will prevent any rot issues down the road with at least that part of the shower/bath area.

UmpJJ