Tub replacement continued

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cat_mobile

Hello.

I recently posted about a leak that caused damage to the drywall around the tub.
I ended up taking the tub liner and tub out today seeing that the tub was basically a festering source of mold around the edges and was old anyways.

This is what it looks like currently (took me a few hours...the drain part was what took the most time.) Most of the damage is on the other side of the right wall where the plumbing was...which is why you can't see it from this shot.
IMG_5334.JPG
My current plan is to
-replace the drywalls around it with a different material that will be less likely to be damaged by water.
Do you have suggestion for what material would be better? I just don't want to deal with wet drywall ever again!
-edit: I realize that some bath tubs can be installed directly onto the wood studs

Also I am planning on removing the vinyl and subfloor upon earlier advising to replace it.
I do see that there is some mold that can be found there.
IMG_5332.JPG
I might have to get the plumbing part done by a pro...but if you have any resource suggestion for that I'd really appreciate any help. R

I am an amateur so I don't exactly know what I"m doing to be honest. I have totally relied on the internet to get me thus far in this project.

Thanks in advance for any advising or suggestion!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

Since you are replacing the tub you are about locked in to a tub and separate surround. Use a quality surround and you should not have any leak issues from the tub. Remember that manufacturers use low bid on supplies to keep costs down, so about ANYTHING will be an upgrade over the original.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
cat_mobile

If I were to want a one piece (as in tub and surround are not separate) would there be any concerns other than fitting through the doorways? Sorry, I just REALLY want a one piece because I hate how no matter how "nice" other ones are there will always be water getting into the crevices and it's a huge pet peeve of mine.

I am already thinking of removing one stud from the right wall.

My old tub was 60"x40"x74"
The new one (I didn't purchase ituet, but the one I"m looking at) will be around 60"x30"x74" and is smaller and will fit through all the doorways. The drain is center, the old one was also center. It will just need to be moved like an inch or two back.

The new one also has space on the bottom where some of the drain plumbing could be above ground If I wanted it seems.
Greg

Getting it into place is the problem. If you are considering a one piece unit I would do your measurements and build a cardboard box that size. If you can not get the box in, the tub won't fit either and the box is a whole lot cheaper.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
cat_mobile

That is a fantastic idea! Thank you.