Hot Water Takes Forever!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Cherry_bomb

We just bought a 2009 Dutch/Champion single wide in mint condition (we are the second owners). It's never been moved, everything is original, and it is our first manufactured home.

Problem is, it takes FOREVER for the water to get hot. The hot water tank is at the back (the house is 68' x 13'4"). First bath is about five feet away. Kitchen is 24' away. Last bath is 48'. It is summertime where I live, with temps in the 70s and 80s. I shudder to think of what it's gonna be like come winter (average temps of 10 or less).

It's an electric water heater set at 140 degrees. And we use all of the faucets on a daily basis (family of four).

Thoughts?
Greg

That is one of the typical problems with 50' between the tank & faucet.
Some here have changed to an on demand heater ( expensive), I think one used some type of re circulation pump to keep the hot water moving. I think that over time you will find it's just one of those things you learn to live with.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Cherry_bomb

Recirculation pump? Is that something a plumber could do? Expensive? Ugh. 😕
Greg

I honestly have no idea on price. My understanding of it is that a pump keeps the water circulating between the tank and the faucet until you open the faucet that way hot water is already there. To me it sounds like a lot of trouble and waste of electricity to avoid a 30 second wait. I think I would go with a small heater under the sink or an on demand heater first.

Greg

I found this old post
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9327&p=48934&hilit= ... ion#p48934
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Cherry_bomb

I wish it was a thirty second wait. I've timed it, and it's more like a 60-90 second wait before it even starts getting warm, let alone hot. Double-ugh.