Water damage- shower/tub plumbing

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cat_mobile

Hi all.

I have water damage from what I presume to be the shower/tub plumbing leaking somewhere-and the dry wall around it has absorbed all the water and become moldy (although from the outside I couldn't tell at all at the beginning) . The carpet on the other side was also damp.

But since taking out the damaged wall to take a look at the plumbing, it has not leaked since. I tried running the water many times to see if I could find a source of the leak from the pipes somewhere, but there's nothing. So I am confused as to how it happened to being with?

This is what it looks like as of now:
IMG_5042(1).jpg
I just wanted opinions on the matter. I did call a repair man...but he didn't answer my question as to why it would only happen once. My assumption was that if it leaked once we should be able to see the source of that leak from somewhere.

Any thoughts as to how it happened?

I'm guessing that it did happen over a period of time from maybe a small drip somewhere? Or gradual accumulation of moisture because something wasn't sealed properly maybe?

Like I noticed a mildewy smell but because there was no visible signs of water from the outside I didn't realize until way later on when the smell became stronger and stronger as to where it was coming from.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but thanks in advance for any inputs on the matter.
It's just bothering me to not know exactly how it happened.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

If you have a plastic tub look for cracks. Some have had issues with cracking around the drain or bottom that open up when you stand in the tub.
If you do find cracks change the tub and stay away from a plastic tub, there is no way to make a lasting repair.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
cat_mobile

Thanks for your input!
Upon closer examination I think I found the issues.

The tub isn't a one liner-so there is the edge where the wall and tub meets that can easily come apart to let water in-especially when cleaning around that area where mildew built up is common. Caulk might fix it, but because the wall is such a flimsy plastic material it can wobble back and forth to a point where the caulk can easily come apart.

Also, there is no seal around the faucet where it comes through the wall (the gray part in the picture) so water can also easily accumulate through there.

I'm just very appalled by how it's designed, really. It's basically set up for water damage :(

Thanks again, though. I wouldn't have seen it if it weren't for you pointing out to check the tub closer.
Greg

Glad to help, That's why we're here!
I would plan on doing an upgrade in the future. You should be able to put a new tub, faucet & surround for under $400. I took our tub out and did a 60" shower when I remodeled the bath.

Greg
cat_mobile

I was discussing replacing the tub for a slightly smaller one piece one that isn't plastic, and the repair guy told me it would cost at least $1500. He even went further to tell me that I don't need to replace it...but that was prior to me asking this question and finding the real reasons behind the leak. But $400 diy price sounds like a steal!

Would replacing a tub be doable for an amateur?

The only foreseeable problems at this point is finding a tub with the right dimension and drain alignment...and needing to break down more parts of the wall for the tub to go through.
Greg

Finding an exact replacement tub could be tough, But if you are in that deep I would plan on replacing the sub floor also. At that point you can move the drain plumbing anywhere you want it. $400 is a low end, if you want some bells & whistles the price will go up. Shop around and see what is out there.

Greg
Joe Freeman

If you can go with standard size tub. 60 inch. I just bought one from Lowes. Fiberglass with reinforced floor and a 3 piece wall kit. Sitting in my shed. Haven't mustered up the gumsion to tear the old one out yet.
The problem is not the problem; the problem , is your attitude towards the problem.
Greg

As long as you have the physical room to fit one in (I moved a small wall 3" to fit our 60" stand up shower in) and the ambition to do it, you should be fine. I did the tub & new vanity, lights and sink with sheetrock in about a week a few years ago. for some reason $1000 comes to mind.

Greg