Garbage disposal vs. no GD -- cost

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

MizFurball2u

I have lived in this MH for 10 years. The garbage disposal (GD) has never worked. Reset, broom handle -- nope. Does not even hum when turned on. I have a new faucet for the kitchen which I purchased last year, but have not had funds to install.

THE SET-UP: The dishwasher drains into the disposal. I think the pipe from the GD to the drain with the u-trap is blocked because, when dishwasher drains, the water comes up to the top of the GD. There is a dishwasher "vent" on top of the sink, which may need cleaning.

QUESTION -- WHICH WOULD BE LESS EXPENSIVE:
I can obtain a GD for $70. Including this $70, would it be less expensive to:
1) Replace GD and have stuffed pipe cleaned when I have faucet installed (include the $70 for GD) OR
2) Remove GD and replace with pipes when faucet is installed. If so, would I need new drain pipe over u-trap to connect dishwasher drain? How would I clean "vent" or determine if it needs cleaning?

Tried to post pics, but says too large, even though I made them much smaller.

Thank you, folks.
cnyguy

i installed a gd in my kitchen sink 10 yrs ago. whats very important with these is to keep drain lines clear. My system drains into a public sewer connection not a septic system. Under your sink may be a y connection with a plug fitting. This is a "clean out" fitting. A blow out fitting is available in your local hardware store which attaches to a garden hose. I flush mine out usually once a year before winter. The water from the hose pulse cleans the drain. I go outside and remove sewer vent cap to observe water flowing while the system is being flushed. You have to be careful with gd's and not assume they will grind up everything you jam down it. I've had speghetti and meatballs coming up in my shower because Momma overdid it. Always run plenty of water while using the gd.
MizFurball2u

No Y connection. It goes straight to the drain with the U-trap. As I said, it has not worked in the 10 years I've lived here. I very, very rarely use a garbage disposal. I will use the toilet for things like soup -- but nothing greasy. Most things, I will freeze until trash day, and they put them out for collection. No sewer vent cap that I have seen.