complete doublewide rebuild

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

leenabug123

So we own a mobile church structure that we were going to turn into a rental apartment. The size is 24x50 and the roof appears to be designs and installed in 3 sections. The 2 sides are 7ft tall and the middle is 8ft tall but has beams that appear to be supporting it all down the middle. We decided to just tear off the existing roof and replace with trusses to give it a residential look on the inside and outside
. However we discovered that the wall were only 2x2s spaced 4 ft apart! I was just ready to sell it at this point as I felt it wasnt worth messing with. But my husband thought it would be simple to just tear the structure down and use the existing floor system (which had new advantech installed during a church freshing up), and frame up new 2x4 walls. Upon even closer inspection this weekend (we tore off the underpinning and looked underneath), I was horrified to discover the sill is only a 2x3! Even our old mobile home sill was a 2x6!
The current supports are spaced every 5 ft apart all around the perimeter of the structure and lots in the middle too.
What do you think? Would this flooring system/ sill support new 2x4 walls (16" centers) and trusses (24" centers)?
resized pic of trailor.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

I think I would do some figuring and find out what it will cost to bring the structure up to acceptable standards.
The only way I would undertake a project like this is if I were planning on totally gutting the home down to the studs. There is no way I would use 2x4s for flooring support (2x6 minimum) . The support spacing sounds right, but I would check with your codes officer on the project first.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
leenabug123

he plans to completely tear down the walls and roof. As in there will be nothing left but the floor sitting on those pillars. But before he rebuilds it with new 2x4 WALLS. Im wondering if that 2x3 SILL is even useable? Someone suggested raising the structure and putting beams across the pillars for the sill to rest on........Would that give it enough support to withstand the weight of 2x4 walls and trusses?
There is no code, we are out in the country, closest city is 30min away. And outside the "city" limits of the local town. So the only requirement they have on us is the electrical will be checked before they will add power to the power pole
Greg

If you are into it that deep, why not sell it and start fresh. Put the money from the sale towards the project and build it the right way.
As far as codes, I would bet there IS a state code.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
leenabug123

wwe already tried to sell it and it costs so much to move that we were unable to sell. Today we talked to a mobile home mover and he wasnt even sure if I could give it away. Its actually like a modular office structure. Its a single wide 9ft frame with 2 seven foot sides that originally folded in for transport. So we either have to find some way to use it or to take it apart ourself. I myself would NOT tear out the existing walls, rather reinforce them or just build over it with a pole barn type roof and then tear out the exisiting roof on the inside and tie into the new roof
yakima4$

I would have something in writing from the local jurisdiction that states no codes apply when going from commercial to a rental other than an electrical permit required.
If anything, you type up the document and have them sign it. .
You need to be concerned with egress for fire-- window size from bedrooms--two paths of egress from structure--interconnected smoke detectors, fire wall separation, possibly draft stop construction in attic space..
Going from a B2 occupancy to a rental is a big step.
If something goes south you will wish you had that documentation.
Check with your insurance company to verify rates.

Best regards

Ron
leenabug123

The insurance company was very negative about a total rebuild, they said it changes the structure too much. So we are going to do a pole barn type roof over it and remodel
yakima4$

Insurance company's and banks are the tail wagging the dog.
They will probably have someone drive by and take pictures when your done and apply for insurance.
They may ask a few more questions and want more details.
leenabug123

From sites I've looked at for building a free standing roof over a mobile home, It says to use a 4x6 for the posts. Does it matter which way we turn the beam? We would like for the 6" side to be flat against the mobile home so that the outer wall will be 4" thick and we could put 2x4s between the posts. That way we could easily put insulation and siding on.
Does it change the strength of the post depending on which way it is turned?