edge of gutter

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

diyoldtimer

Hi All!
The edge right at the overhang of the roof commonly called the J channel needs to be cleaned. The roof is rolled and the seal was applied to the edge/overhang as well. I am preparing the house for painting and want to clean that edge and seal it with an XIM product. Since the roof is rolled and some parts of the edge are worn away can I cut the excess away and seal the edge with XIM. The edge was rolled with a rubber product and I want to cut the worn areas and seal it for painting.
Is there a better idea or am I good to go.
oldtimer
Greg

If it is still in good shape I would leave it alone and go over it with sealer. I am in the process of replacing the sheetrock on one wall of the living room due to water damage after 4" of rain this month, and of course the insurance company doesn't want to know anything.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
diyoldtimer

I have cleaned up and have cut the excess rubber sealer from the edge of the roof which is about 11/2 inches from the roofs edge to the "J" channel. I am painting with an XIM product call UMA which is an excellent sealer for this application. Once painted I will apply the trim color to the edge and wal-la it will look brand new.
I've also applied a rust cleaner and rust inhibiter to those screws that where showing some signs of corrosion. Wherever I had a separation of siding I applied exterior caulk to that siding which tightened up the siding and makes it look new.
I do have to say that the extra work and preparation makes the 'remodel' look very new. I'm looking to do some 'fixer upper' applications to the exterior to bring out the 'modern' look and bring the house up to a realistic element of clean which will produce the wow factor.
Looking forward to a nice clean finish. Thanks to you all for your ideas and comments. Especially the XIM information.
Kind regards, oldtimer