Roof over weight questions.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

N-M-W 78076

Thanks for adding me. I hope I don't ask to many dumb questions.

I just bought a 16x76 2007 MH at the lake. My only complaint is the original metal roof thats on it now. Its not leaking anywhere but its wavy in spots and all the caulking where it adjoins the side walls worries me. I hate to "wait" for a leak and deal with more potential problems down the road.

I have been looking at a few different ways to deal with this.

One would be a completely separate and free standing metal awning over the entire place. Basically a 20x80 carport. 4x4 metal posts, 6" purlins and 26 gauge corrugated metal, basically a metal building over it with no side walls. Cost @ $7,500

Similar to this but not this massive.

[Image

The other option would be a roof over with 1x4's and the 26 gauge metal sheets. Cost @ 3,000.

Like this with the r board.

Image[/URL]

This MH has vaulted ceilings so there is no truss system. Would adding the weight of the 1x4's and the metal sheets be OK on this type of roof? Any other recommendations?

Heres an example of the current roof system, the metal rolled over the edge roofing, not sure what its called .

Thanks for any help.
yakima4$

I would go with the metal roofing, foam board and 1 X strips.
I would worry that the cabana style free standing metal roof would catch the wind and blow off. Plus damage your home in the process
Greg

If you are in a rural area the free standing could work well for you since you could add a space for a covered patio for little extra.
a roof over costs less and looks cleaner. add some parameter blocking to help support the extra weight.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
N-M-W 78076

Greg wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:44 pm If you are in a rural area the free standing could work well for you since you could add a space for a covered patio for little extra.
a roof over costs less and looks cleaner. add some parameter blocking to help support the extra weight.

Greg
Im in a park but have some room. I currently have a 14'x76' awning down the entire front of the home. I was going to have the new free standing awning go about a foot onto the current awning and that would leave me 3 feet covered off the back. The 3 feet would cover the A/C unit and back door steps.

I just don't know, its a lot of extra money, I just worry about the current roof supporting a new roof over.
N-M-W 78076

yakima4$ wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:48 pm I would go with the metal roofing, foam board and 1 X strips.
I would worry that the cabana style free standing metal roof would catch the wind and blow off. Plus damage your home in the process
The free standing awning would have 4 x 4 metal posts and 6" c purlins and heavy gauged metal, if it went the house would be gone the cabana style are stout.

I like the roof over idea but don't know if the the current roof system is strong enough.
Greg

I think you will find that you have a truss system that should have no problem with the extra weight, with the parameter blocking I think you will be fine.
The issue I personally have with the free standing system is the fact that you are in a park. By law you are building the PARK a free standing roof since it is on their property.
I am speaking from experience when I tell you that you will not win if you lock horns with the owner or if the park is sold and you are forced to move.
We were in the park for 20 years when a neighbor (drug dealer) pulled a gun on my wife, all the owner would say was "His rent is payed, If you don't like it you can move" We DID.
It was the best thing I ever did! We now have an acre in the village, the taxes are less than the rent was and we can do what we want.

Greg

Greg
N-M-W 78076

Greg wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 5:22 pm I think you will find that you have a truss system that should have no problem with the extra weight, with the parameter blocking I think you will be fine.
The issue I personally have with the free standing system is the fact that you are in a park. By law you are building the PARK a free standing roof since it is on their property.
I am speaking from experience when I tell you that you will not win if you lock horns with the owner or if the park is sold and you are forced to move.
We were in the park for 20 years when a neighbor (drug dealer) pulled a gun on my wife, all the owner would say was "His rent is payed, If you don't like it you can move" We DID.
It was the best thing I ever did! We now have an acre in the village, the taxes are less than the rent was and we can do what we want.

Greg

Greg
Gotcha, I should have given more info.

I own the land my house sits on, years ago the park owner sold some lots. I have title insurance and a warranty deed, the land is guaranteed mine through Stewart Title via title insurance.

10-4 on adding more perimeter blocking if I do the roof over.

The main reason I was looking at doing a total awning over the place was the 76' side gets the west sun and its HOT in south texas 105 +.
I thought if I went 20' wide and had a 3 foot overhang on the west side I could bring metal down the side 4-6 feet and give me some more shade.
Also the big awning would would keep the sun directly off the entire roof and might be a lot cooler than a roof over.
Greg

In that case go for the free standing build.

Greg