New Mobile Suggestions

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

My wife and I are retiring to Texas (Austin area) next year . We are going to buy a new Palm Harbor doublewide and have it set on 1.5 acres. The land has a septic and water in place. We have never owned or lived in a mobile and would like some suggestions on what upgrades to order. I want 2x6 exterior walls, 2x4 interior walls, plywood floors and double pane windows. Sheet vinyl in the bathrooms and washroom. We are going to install Dupont laminated wood flooring throughout the rest of the house ourselves unless they give us a good price.
What I need to know, are there any other upgrades that I should let Palm harbor do at the factory that would make life more enjoyable for the both of us? This is new to us and I don’t want to say “I should have had Palm Harbor do it”.
Also, should I have the heating/cooling vents in the floor or ceiling?
Harry

Hi

I like Palm Harbor. What about the foundation? Are you going with a slab? Cost more initially. I'd get a quote at least.

Plywood floors is smart.

Your temp is humid subtropical and snow is a rare occurance....so I would choose vents in the ceiling. Vents in the ceiling is common in Florida....and real nice in the summer.

To me the setup is really really important. Be sure you get your hands on the "Manufactures Installation Manual" and make sure your setup crew follows it all the way. This manual will include the proper grading of the site so all that rain will be directed away from the home...so on and so forth.

Good Luck

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?

Thanks Harry. I just hope I don't run into any surprises...
Maureen

Hi Ski.

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sure that others will add to your list. Right off hand, outside of set up, very important, I can think of making sure that you get the best insulation available!

I'm still on the fence about laminate in a retirement home. Here's how I'm looking at our retirement home. I'm trying to make it as senior friendly as possible. Laminate flooring isn't good for us older folks. Especially when we get even older. Laminate is very slick. When coupled with throw rugs, that can also present problems as we age. One slip is all it takes! I want a wood look floor. Either Novalis, laminate or real wood, but I think I need something with texture. I'm now sort of leaning toward the novalis stone tiles.

Novalis is a newer product on the market. It's like a stick down tile, only much better! I have heard that other companies are coming out with similar products.

The only other thing I can think of might be not going with the lower end appliances offered in some homes. I'd take the step up to better appliances if I could.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Yanita

Hi,

You are getting real good advice here, you want all or as many upgrades as you can get on the structure of your home.

Ask what type of plumbing lines your home will have, and personally I would stay away from sky lights.

As for appliances, I understand wanting to get the best available for your home, but remember when financing comes into play you will be paying for these in your mortgage, interest adds up, and typically they over price the appliances.

Might want to do a little math about buying these separate from the home. I did this when we bought our single wide years ago. Just something to think about. The purchase price of washer, dryer, stove, refrigerator, dishwasher maybe cheaper as an out right purchase at an appliance store versus being on a 15 to 30 year mortgage.

As Harry said, set up is real important, make sure you know exactly who and how the set will be done. Make certain that all agreements with the set up company are in writing. Document everything between you and the seller of the home as well. Nothing is legally enforceable if not documented.

Good luck on your new home!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Brenda (OH)

I don't know if it is a possible upgrade, but from working on these first three rehabs, I wonder if all drip channels could be outlawed, and small rain gutters required instead lol. If not gutters, if they offer diverters over windows and doors (small metal overhangs, they send the water out further) it might be helpful. I have had to make my own diverters to pitch the water out of some spots on each home so far. The homes I am working on are 20 to 30 years old.

(of course, i would be outlawing particle board floors too, so I was happy to see that you can upgrade to plywood floors at the factory)

80% of the water damage I have had to correct has been due to sags or breaks in the drip channels sending the water cascading down the exterior wall, often over the front of the windows. In a heavy rain, it looks like someone was aiming a garden hose at the window.... even a tiny portion of such big amount of water finding its way in overtime softened the walls and floors.

BB (who is SO GOOD NOW at pulling up particle board flooring and cutting plywood floor patches)
klm9707

Hi. Welcome to MH life. We purchased a new one about 9 months ago and I love it! You are getting excellent advice here. Structural upgrades are a must. They will pay for themselves in the end and save you many headaches. Then sit back and think of some things you might think you want now. Maybe a utility sink in the mud room would come in handy, a window in the bathroom instead of a sky light etc. One thing that I wish we had was a place in the utility room for a freezer but never considered it at the time we purchased the home. Little things that make a big difference. Also agree with the appliance thing, why finance the extra cost of the upgrade when they probably would not be your choice of appliance if you actually went appliance shopping. We just upgraded faucets last week on our own and got the ones of our choice not just the two or 3 that the MH manufacture has. Put a lot of thought into it and enjoy it for many years to come.

Thanks KLM, the freezer in the mud room is now on my list. Thank you very much.
geraldk

one more suggestion if you dont have is... soffit and fasia and a roof overhang,, will help keep water from running down the side of the home ...up here that is a option not sure about your area
im not a dr. but ill take a look
Archie

I am not to sure exactly what may be an option or not, never been lucky enough to get a new one yet. Some things you might consider though.

1. Getting the light fixture boxes that can hold ceiling fans in the rooms you may want one later; such as bedrooms, dining room, living room, etc.

2. Getting an electric water heater instead of gas. The gas units can be a lot more expensive to replace in the future.

3. Having an outside electrical box and hose bib on both sides of the home. Nothing worse than having to stretch all the way around.

4. Get an electrical service panel that will allow you to add to it later. If you have a choice between a 100 amp service or a 200 amp service box I would go with the 200 amp. This will allow an electrician room to add, upgrade, or divide the current load on the box.

5. Water shut off valves on all incoming water lines. Under sinks, tubs, showers, dishwasher, ice maker, and the water heater. My parents new home does not have a shut off at the water heater so the only way right now to kill the water to the house is to go underneath and shut it off.

6. You may want to consider ordering light fixtures that you will be able to use fluorescent light bulbs in to cut your electric bill. Some fixtures will not accommodate the bulbs.

7. Lastly is built in items. While built in desks, book cases, and china hutches look nice, don't forget that they are built with the same items and quality as the rest of the home which is likely to be mediocre at best. If you do decide to remove them they will likely come apart and not be salvageable. It doesn't leave much in the way of rearranging and you can probably find better stand alone units to fit your needs.
Experience is what you get after you need it.
Yanita

Great advice Archie,

There's a few things you mentioned that I should of! Good job!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

That was an excellent post Archie. We should save it, along with the other suggestions above, for when this question comes up again. Is there anything else that hasn't been mentioned?

How about financing suggestions? Dealer vs Bank vs Credit Union?

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.

All of you have been so helpful. Thanks for all of the suggestions and ideas. Please don't stop, keep them coming and thanks again. Ski
altasnowman

Hello and welcome,
Have to agree with what Archie gave you and add one more item to the list. Talk to manufacturer and see if they can install a sprinkler system (know this is a huge cost but so is a new home) or a fire suppressant system with heads at the furnace and stove areas. wish that governments would make this mandatory, would save homes and lives,(watched another home go up in flames the other nite,total loss of home and many scared neighbors). just a thought as to what i would install into a new home( someday when i win the lottery). best of luck
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
chasMB

Well Sprinklers are nice and depending on your insurance company will pay for themselves in savings on Fire Insurance. Sad thing is Cities charge more for a larger water tap to supply the sprinkler system. NOW if you are on a well you will need a place for a storage tank and pump to meet NFPA 13D. I do know when we get a new place or remodel this one I will be putting Sprinklers in. Just make sure you have a GOOD COMMERCIAL (not plastic head) portable fire extinguisher.