can i paint the ceiling?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mopower440

I got a 2000 oakwood double wide. It has textured sheetrock panel ceilings with those strips over the seams. can I use ceiling paint to freshen it up? will it adhere and look ok?

Greg

You will need a stain blocking ceiling paint. You may find that you will need to use a brush and dab it on. On many types of ceilings if you try to use a roller you will make a big mess. You roll it on in one direction and pull everything (down to the paper) off when you pull back. Once you get it on the ceiling you will be fine.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mopower440

Greg wrote:You will need a stain blocking ceiling paint. You may find that you will need to use a brush and dab it on. On many types of ceilings if you try to use a roller you will make a big mess. You roll it on in one direction and pull everything (down to the paper) off when you pull back. Once you get it on the ceiling you will be fine.

Greg
oh man, theres no way i can dab it on the whole ceiling with a brush, would take years..lol..maybe i should just leave it, but it really needs freshening up...Damn..
chadomac

i sprayed ours. tried rolling them but it was useless. Went to homedepot and rented a sprayer did the whole house in under a hour
mopower440

chadomac wrote:i sprayed ours. tried rolling them but it was useless. Went to homedepot and rented a sprayer did the whole house in under a hour
what happened when you tried to roller it?
I wouldnt mind spraying it but have no experience spraying and sure dont want to mess it up..
chadomac

our home is a 1995 and was neglected (and that is a undestatement) it just fell off in pieces as we rolled it. that was only going in one direction as well. i had no experience with a sprayer as well but if you ever have used a can of spray paint you can use a paint sprayer
Mark440

Basically - if it ain't moving - you can paint it! :D

The trick to using a sprayer is don't stop moving while the paint is flowing. You can end up with a buildup blob pretty quick. That said...

You HAVE to wear a respirator and goggles to do this! If you don't have a head mask....use a ball cap and sheet plastic to fashion one.

Mask off everything you don't want paint on. Cover the floor with plastic and tape the plastic down to the flooring. Then hang sheets of plastic to cover the stuff under the ceiling. Use a couple small pieces of tape to h9old the plastic at the ceiling line, then go back with one continuous (and/or overlapping) piece. If the lower portion of he plastic will be covering furnishings - make certain it covers all the way to the floor.

NOTE: Put some paper of a flat sheet or cloth drop cloths on top of the floor plastic - and remember to take off your shoes before you go out the door!
When you start spraying - divide the ceiling up into 4ft x 4ft sections. Starting with one section, paint left to right lightly and quickly and don't stop moving! Then go back and spray from top to bottom lightly and quickly and don't stop moving! Do each section the same way with just a small amount of overlap.

Last thing...try to go around the outside edge of the ceiling lightly - making sure you lap down at least on to the tape holding the plastic. Remove the sprayer from the area. Watch for paint on your shoes!!

This last step will "wet" the tape...and it will peel easily off the wall. Roll the plastic up starting at the top...and put each piece into a garbage bag.

Warning: Don't let that sprayer slip in your hands. If your hands become wet or gooey - dry your hands. I still have latex paint embedded in a finger cuz the gun slipped away.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
chadomac

great advice i forget when we did ours the house was empty and did not have to cover anything as we were in a complete remodel that made it a lot easier.
mopower440

I don't know, it seems complicated..Im sure you have to mix the paint to thin it, and im sure you have to fine tune the gun to spray the way it needs to and I don't know how to do any of that and I sure don't want to mess up my house..?
chadomac

I myself did not mix any paint bought the ceiling paint at depot pulled the lid and sprayed it. There is a adjustment nozzle on the end of the gun I turned it till I got the spray pattern I needed and away I went. It was very simple to do
mopower440

chadomac wrote:I myself did not mix any paint bought the ceiling paint at depot pulled the lid and sprayed it. There is a adjustment nozzle on the end of the gun I turned it till I got the spray pattern I needed and away I went. It was very simple to do
How do you know when you get the right pattern if you don't have any practice area to spray? That's what worries me.. So you don't have to thin the paint to spray it? Apply just like you would on a roller?
Greg

Those look like the prefinished panels to me so you may be OK with a roller. If you have a small room try that first.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mopower440

Greg wrote:Those look like the prefinished panels to me so you may be OK with a roller. If you have a small room try that first.

Greg
all i can tell of it is that it is thin sheetrock with just a minor texture to it and the texture is really hard, it takes a bit to pick it off with your finger nails..?
Mark440

Usually a rented sprayer will have at least 50ft of hose. Set up the rig near an exit door - and do your testing outdoors. As for the paint, do not thin it. Ceiling paint has additional "chalk" in it - and adding water will only make the wet paint 'heavier' and take longer to dry.

Again, the trick is thin coats in a criss-cross pattern. Take your time.

Time wise - you will spend 75% of the time prepping, 10% spraying, and 15% cleanup. It sounds a heck of a lot more complicated than it actually is. But the end result is worth it.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
mopower440

Got the first coat on the kitchen and dining room with no problems. NONE of the texture came off on the roller! It went well..Thank God! Will do second coat tomorrow..