Pressure washing a 1978

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Craigrrr

I have bought a 1978 Skyline MH it has metal siding , all stock what is normally behind that siding? and it has some oxidation on the paint , so I am wanting to pressure wash it and wanted to know if these are prone to water getting in behind the metal siding and what I should use to remove the oxidation and possibly I will repaint but not sure . Hoping after oxidation is gone the color will come back.

Are there any other things for MH siding maintenance ??
thanks
Markfothebeast

I might be a bit weary of hitting the seams. On my place the original walls are/were metal sheeting that appear to be crimped together of some sort but the seams run vertically. I have 2x4 walls that were put over the original metal siding and I can still feel a breeze through it. Everytime I gut a wall I caulk the interior part of the siding seams (or spray foam). The wall framing is vertical 2x2s with 1x2s running through horizontally sandwiched with probably the thinnest fiberglass batting known to man. I'd hate to introduce any water in between that and especially the leak prone roofing used back in the day. If at all possible I'd spray away from the direction of where the seams crimp together. The last couple mobile homes I've had had vinyl siding so I never had to deal with the faded siding. I wouldn't want to scrape it unless I was wearing a respirator.
Markfothebeast

This is what it looks behind the siding with 1x2/2x2 walls. Minus the faced insulation and wall paneling. Pretty scary.
Markfothebeast

If you want to use a decent paint and you own a sprayer, I typically HVLP Rustoleum sold in the quarts. It looks phenomenal if done right as a cheap paint job on cars. I am curious to see what it would look like in gloss ona mobile home. I could probably show you examples.
Craigrrr

78 skyline.jpg
Thanks Mark, yeah that is a scary sight seeing 1x2 and 2x2's for wall framing. Maybe on this 78 it will be at least 2x4 framing. My siding runs vertical also sounds like the way yours is. here is a picture
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.