Got a Bid, too much? Flood Damage, Replace Entire Subfloor

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Holegrain

Rented a PODS to help cut down on time spent moving our stuff around. Renting an RV to stay in, on our property. Handyman-guy says it will take about 6 weeks to replace the subfloor in the entire house. Does that sound right? Not trying to be snarky at ALL but just need a realistic idea - my husband works out of state most of the time, and our oldest son with him now, so its just me & our 2 girls, youngest is moderately autistic, and living in an RV with her for 2 months is not going to be pleasant. Just being honest, I'll flip my lid if the guy is like every other "contractor" I've dealt with, might show up by 10 or 11, and lucky if theyre still here by 4pm when I get home from picking up kids from school. If 6 weeks is reasonable, so be it. But I seriously was thinking more like 3-4, working monday thru friday like everyone else does, kicking off the day around 8 and packing up around 4 or 5, like everyone else does...man, I just want this crud to be DONE! :wink:
Greg

It is hard to say how long it will take. A lot depends on how far he really goes. Is the floor under the shower/bath tub being replaced? Under the kitchen cabinets? Closets?

A few years ago I totally gutted a single wide for our daughter, took me about 6 mo. working alone nights & weekends.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Holegrain

I had a meeting with him today & asked my questions. He is going to remove the old stuff from under the walls, so I'm pleased about that. We are doing the entire house, bathrooms and all, it's all gotta go. He'll also be laying down new floor covering throughout as well. We talked about a time frame, and he felt like a month for just the subfloor part of the job was more likely, so 6 weeks was an outside figure, all this of course is depending upon anything we find once it's all ripped out.

Anyway, communication was a good idea, highly recommend it to anyone, when in doubt :wink:

thanks for everyone's input.
Greg

Just a heads up here, but most cabinets (Kitchen & Bath) in mobiles are built in from the factory. They are one step from impossible to remove with out destroying them. This would be a great time to do an upgrade.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Holegrain

I was surprised when ins adjuster said the cabinets usually were just one piece and easy to detach. If they fall apart, I'm supposed to keep the cabinet doors, so when the ins co then replaces the lower cabinets, I'll at least have matching doors lol

I'll have final numbers after all this mess gets done and see just how short, or generous, their allowances really were. For example, they allowed for the relevel $1,000. Actual cost of relevel was $1,200, and we added raising it 1 block (8") for an extra $900. I turned the receipt in to the ins co, expecting the $200 difference for relevel. They paid for the whole thing.

But we are def paying more for the ply subfloor. We'll see where we end up/ :mrgreen:
Mark440

Holegrain wrote:This is what my local Lowes has in stock, is this the correct stuff?
Plytanium 23/32 CAT PS1-09 Tongue and Groove Pine Plywood Subfloor, Application as 4 x 8
They have 5% off if you order 48 sheets or more, total delivered price for 60 sheets (to do approx 2,000sf) is $1,841.48.
That is the same T&G plywood I used in my workshop. The only thing that threw me off was the 4x8 aspect. When all is pushed together - the result is less than 4x8 coverage by about 1/2". At 12ft wide, I ended up with about a 2" strip under an outside wall. It all turned out ok....but I had to buy an extra sheet to cover the shortage.
Opportunity has a shelf life.